- "From the Battles of Rashfond, to the Peacekeeping of Parliock, to our very own Clone Wars, the lightsaber is a Jedi's only true ally. But how do they work? Hmm? Yes, you have brought me crystals, but they're all useless unless you give them life. Do you know how to awaken the Force within the crystal? No? Then I suggest you listen and learn, until you think of a question this droid cannot answer."
- ―Huyang, to a class of Jedi younglings
Huyang was a Mark IV architect droid professor based aboard the Jedi vessel, the Crucible, who for a thousand generations had taught Jedi younglings, including Grand Master Yoda and Jedi Master Mace Windu how to build their lightsaber following the Gathering.
- "Built centuries before me, Professor Huyang was an architect droid that served as a vital part of the Jedi Order. Now, I know what you're thinking, and you're right— droids can't use the Force (though at times, I swear I've come close). Huyang used the vast wealth of knowledge he had gathered over the centuries to become a force of his own. When Jedi younglings were being trained, it was Huyang who helped them construct their lightsabers. And judging by how effective— and painful— those weapons always were, he must have been pretty great at his job. No wonder they gave him a degree."
By the time of the Clone Wars, Huyang was over a thousand years old, and had helped thousands of generations of Jedi younglings in the construction of their lightsabers including Grand Master Yoda and Jedi Master Mace Windu. His purpose was to accompany the young trainees to the planet Ilum, and once they retrieved the kyber crystal that called to them through the Force, he would aid them in fashioning the weapon.
Training gone astrayEdit
During the Clone Wars, in 20 BBY, Huyang accompanied Grand Master Yoda, Ahsoka Tano, and a group of younglings to Ilum, where they would begin their journey towards becoming Padawans. During this time, their ship was boarded by the Weequay pirates led by Hondo Ohnaka. While Tano was occupied with Ohnaka, one of the pirates crippled Huyang, knocking off his head and both his arms. Later, during their rescue of Tano, the younglings were able to reassemble Huyang.
Behind the scenesEdit
- "The Weapon"—Age of Republic Special 1 (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A Test of Strength" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Bound for Rescue"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A Necessary Bond"
- Ahsoka (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars Super Graphic: A Visual Guide to a Galaxy Far, Far Away
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- Star Wars: Droidography
- Star Wars: Destiny – Spark of Hope (Card: )
- Star Wars: The Secrets of the Jedi