A hyperlane, also known as a hyperroute, hyperway, hyperspace route, hyperspace lane, spacelane, star-route, trade route, or jump route, was an area of space that had been deemed safe for hyperspace travel. The largest were known as super-hyperroutes.
Overview[edit | edit source]
Hyperlanes were routes through space in which a spaceship could safely travel without colliding with a body in space, or some other phenomenon such as a black hole. There were five major routes in the galaxy, with hundreds of secondary routes and thousands of minor ones. Scouting new hyperspace routes was an incredibly dangerous task for an explorer.
In many parts of the galaxy, hyperlanes required periodic re-entry into realspace to manually maneuver the ship towards the next hyper-point. Pirate raids were common in these spots. The Galactic Empire and other governments often sought to lessen this threat by constructing deep-space platforms at hyper-points. Mine fields and probe droids were also deployed.
Major routes[edit | edit source]
- Rimma Trade Route, established in 5500 BBY, was a major trade route that ran from Abregado-rae in the Core Worlds to Kathol sector in the Outer Rim.
- Perlemian Trade Route was a vital trade hyperroute that, along with the Corellian Run, made up the border of The Slice.
- Hydian Way was the only hyperlane that crossed the entire galaxy.
- The Corellian Run started at Coruscant, looped around the Deep Core, went through Corellia, and continued on to pass through Tatooine before terminating near the remote Outer Rim world of Naos III.
- The Corellian Trade Spine began at Corellia and headed in the direction of Duro. It eventually passed by the Greater Javin before tapering off.