- "We have them tied to the end of a string."
- ―General Armitage Hux on following the Resistance fleet
A hyperspace tracker was a type of active tracker with the ability to detect starships travelling through hyperspace, a feat not thought possible until the First Order utilized it against the Resistance in 34 ABY.
History[edit | edit source]
The science behind hyperspace tracking was studied by the Tarkin Initiative during the reign of the Galactic Empire, and files about these studies were discovered by Jyn Erso during the Battle of Scarif in 0 BBY. The science was not perfected for several more decades when a team assembled by General Armitage Hux discovered how to implement the technology.
Part of the technology used in the hyperspace tracker was a complex static hyperspace field generator, which enveloped arrays of databanks and computers in a localized hyperspace field that accelerated their calculation speeds to unimaginable rates.
Resistance hero Finn and young Flight Engineer Rose Tico attempted to board the Mega-class Star Dreadnought Supremacy and cut off its hyperspace tracker to enable the Resistance fleet to escape. They were helped by a crack codebreaker named DJ who betrayed them and turned them in to the First Order.
Following the disastrous tracking of the Resistance fleet by the First Order, Rose Tico spent many months working under General Leia Organa, developing new technology and techniques to prevent hyperspace tracking.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (First mentioned)
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story novelization (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Expanded Edition
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: A Junior Novel
- The Last Jedi Adaptation 2
- The Last Jedi Adaptation 3 (Mentioned only; in the opening crawl)
- The Last Jedi Adaptation 4
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: A Junior Novel (Mentioned only)
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary (First identified as Hyperspace tracker)
- The Last Jedi: Rose Tico: Resistance Fighter
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- Star Wars: Women of the Galaxy (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: X-Wing Second Edition – First Order Conversion Kit (Card: )
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas places the events of Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens in 34 ABY. Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi picks up immediately following the end of The Force Awakens.
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas places the events of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, including the Battle of Scarif, in 0 BBY.
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: A Junior Novel