IG-101 was one of the two IG-100 MagnaGuards, the other being IG-102, that served as General Grievous's droid bodyguards aboard the Invisible Hand during the Battle of Coruscant. He was programmed to automatically learn combat and refined his combat skills in long training sessions with Grievous. Due to his training, he could wield two electrostaffs at the same time.
During the battle above Coruscant, he engaged Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi in combat and was beheaded early on in the fight, but remained functioning and able to fight. Eventually, however, Kenobi managed to get inside the MagnaGuard's guard and cleave him in two; his body fell apart with a metallic groan, still grasping feebly at the Jedi.
- Star Wars: Force Arena
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Bad Batch – "Aftermath" (In flashback(s))
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded (First identified as IG-101)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 8 (Helmets: General Grievous; Highlights of the Saga: Kidnap of the Chancellor)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 24 (Helmets: MagnaGuard)
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- Star Wars: Build Your Own R2-D2 57 (Droid Directory: IG-100 MagnaGuard) (Picture only)
- "Melee and Ranged Weapons" – Star Wars Encyclopedia
- "Anakin Skywalker" – Star Wars Encyclopedia (Indirect mention only)