IG-102 was one of the two IG-100 MagnaGuards, the other being IG-101, that served as General Grievous's droid bodyguards aboard the Invisible Hand during the Battle of Coruscant. He was programmed to automatically learn combat and refined his combat skills in long training sessions with Grievous. Due to his training, he could wield two electrostaffs at the same time.
The two droids were present on the Bridge of the ship as Grievous gloated over the captured Jedi, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and Anakin Skywalker. Skywalker's astromech, R2-D2, was able to distract those on the bridge for Kenobi to use the force take his lightsaber back from Grievous, with Skywalker taking his back afterwards. Grievous ordered the droids to attack, with IG-101 focusing Kenobi, and IG-102 focusing on Skywalker. 102 was able to press Skywalker for a while, but the Jedi managed to find an opening in his defense and cut the droid in half at the waist, destroying it.
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded (First identified as IG-102)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 8 (Helmets: General Grievous; Highlights of the Saga: Kidnap of the Chancellor)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 24 (Helmets: MagnaGuard)
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- Star Wars: Build Your Own R2-D2 57 (Droid Directory: IG-100 MagnaGuard) (Picture only)
- "Melee and Ranged Weapons" – Star Wars Encyclopedia
- "Anakin Skywalker" – Star Wars Encyclopedia (Indirect mention only)