- "Hoop-wheeled tanks roared past the droids, stirring up clouds of red dust."
- ―Bultar Swan
The IG-227 Hailfire-class droid tank, also known simply as the hailfire droid or wheel droid, was a model of droid tank manufactured by Haor Chall Engineering that was used by the InterGalactic Banking Clan and Confederacy of Independent Systems during the Clone Wars as well as the Alliance to Restore the Republic during the Galactic Civil War.
Able to roll rapidly into action, the IG-227 Hailfire-class droid tank was an armored missile platform easily identified by its treaded, hoop-like drive wheels 8.5 meters in diameter capable of moving it at intimidating speeds that was best used to destroy enemy vehicles. Also known as wheel droids due to their maneuverability and speedy drive systems, their light armor plating, brown and silver in color, made them fast at the cost of making them vulnerable to infantry attacks. Their red photoreceptor "eye" could lock on to both land and air targets at impressive distances, greatly improving the range of their missiles.
Hailfire droids were equipped with two racks of missile launcher pods on either side of their heads, each carrying 15 guided missile warheads that left behind a trail of black exhaust when fired. These projectiles were effective against stationary or slow-moving targets on terrain where blaster weapons were unusable due to a lack of clear lines of sight, with a single warhead being capable of destroying an Low Altitude Assault Transport/infantry or an All Terrain Tactical Enforcer. The missiles were most effective at ranges less than a kilometer and followed deliberately swerving, evasive trajectories, and when they were depleted, a hailfire droid was forced to rely upon its twin chin-mounted blasters.
Manufactured by Haor Chall Engineering, the hailfire droid was originally commissioned for construction by the InterGalactic Banking Clan prior to the Clone Wars for the intended purpose of debt collection in the IG-series battle droid army. During the Separatist Crisis, the Muunilinst Banking Clan donated its hailfire droids to the Confederacy of Independent Systems, which fought as part of the Separatist Droid Army during the Battle of Geonosis, the opening battle of the Clone Wars in the year 22 BBY. 4,100 units were deployed by Techno Union Hardcell-class interstellar transports, and continued to see use as one of the most common CIS vehicles until at least nine months into the conflict.
During the war, hailfire droids were given blue coloring, the color commonly used on Separatist equipment, and hailfires were used in a battle on Murkhana. However, despite its powerful prescience on the battlefield, the hailfire droid's use was short-lived because it carried a limited amount of missiles, and it was soon replaced by the NR-N99 Persuader-class droid enforcer. Despite this, General Grievous' flagship, the Invisible Hand, had hailfire droids were among four hundred and forty other vehicles stowed during the Battle of Coruscant in 19 BBY. A major corridor on the ship was wide enough for a hailfire droid. During the Galactic Civil War fought decades later, hailfire droids were adapted by Alliance to Restore the Republic to feature weaponry capable of destroying turrets as well as vehicles. The Rebellion also retrofitted some for increased effectiveness in sub-zero temperatures.
Behind the scenesEdit
The IG-227 Hailfire-class droid tank was originally created for the 2002 film Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones. To help differentiate the "good guys" and the "bad guys" in the Battle of Geonosis, Industrial Light & Magic visual effects artists specifically keyed the color of missile contrails to denote its firer's allegiance, with LAAT/i rockets leaving a clean, wispy white vapor trail while the hailfire droids paint the skies with thick, noxious black exhaust.
- Star Wars: Galactic Defense
- Star Wars Battlefront II (DLC)
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones (First appearance)
- Tarkin (Wreckage only)
- Darth Vader 4 (Wreckage only)
- Star Wars: Commander
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones (Set: 75085 Hailfire Droid)
- Ultimate Star Wars (First identified as IG-227 Hailfire-class droid tank)
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars Expert Guide
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: On the Front Lines
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: Destiny – Way of the Force (Card: )
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- Star Wars: Complete Vehicles
- Star Wars: Geektionary: The Galaxy from A - Z
- Star Wars: Droidography
- Rise of the Separatists
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition
- (Picture only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Rise of the Separatists
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 Star Wars: Commander
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 5.5 5.6 Star Wars: Complete Locations
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- ↑ Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Tarkin
- ↑ Star Wars Battlefront II
- ↑ Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 13.2 Star Wars: Complete Vehicles