The IPV-1 System Patrol Craft, also known as the Imperial patrol vessel, Imperial patrol vehicle or IPV-1-class corvette, was a standard system security and customs vessel commonly used near planets to interdict smugglers and protect against piracy. It was produced by Republic Sienar Systems.
Being very fast and maneuverable, they patrolled Republic and later Imperial sectors when larger ships were unavailable. They were regarded as the first line of defense against purveyors of contraband and various organizations attempting insurrection against a system, and relied on their speed to catch and disable or destroy enemy craft. Pirate attacks fell to an all-time low when this craft was in a sector. However many fell into the hands of pirates and crime syndicates who used them to defend their outposts.
Lacking a hyperdrive, the IPV-1 flew specific routes along known smuggling lanes. Their objective was to maintain the peace and order of the galactic government within controlled space.
The Alliance to Restore the Republic was also known to have purchased them through various merchant systems.
Behind the scenesEdit
West End Games established that "IPV" stands for "Imperial Patrol Vehicle".[source?] Starships of the Galaxy claimed that these ships were originally manufactured for the Republic and that their original designation was "Independent Patrol Vehicle". The name was changed to "Imperial Patrol Vehicle" under the Empire, but the design of the ships was not.
In Star Wars: Empire at War and Star Wars: Empire at War: Forces of Corruption, IPV-1s may be built at pirate docks, but not Imperial bases; they are also seen very often in Black Sun pirate fleets orbiting pirate controlled planets in Empire at War's "Galactic Conquest" mode.
- The Last of the Jedi: Death on Naboo
- Star Wars: TIE Fighter (First appearance)
- Star Wars: X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter
- "Loyalties"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 4 (As "IPV-1 Inter-System Patrol Craft")
- Beyond the Rim
- Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance
- Star Wars: Empire at War
- Star Wars: Empire at War: Forces of Corruption
- River of Chaos 1
- Dark Force Rising (Mentioned only)
- Planet of Twilight
- Vision of the Future
- "Droids Defiant"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 9
- Imperial Sourcebook (As "IPV 1 Inter-system Patrol Craft")
- Dark Force Rising Sourcebook (As "IPV")
- Imperial Sourcebook, Second Edition
- Flashpoint! Brak Sector
- The DarkStryder Campaign
- The Truce at Bakura Sourcebook
- The Thrawn Trilogy Sourcebook
- Pirates & Privateers
- Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
- Starships of the Galaxy, Saga Edition
- Starships of the Galaxy
- Star Wars: Empire at War: Prima Official Game Guide
- Star Wars: Empire at War: Forces of Corruption Expansion: Prima Official Game Guide
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia (As "IPV-1")
- The Essential Guide to Warfare
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 The Stele Chronicles
- ↑ Imperial Sourcebook, p. 51
- ↑ Starships of the Galaxy, p. 103
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 4.7 4.8 4.9 Pirates & Privateers, p. 74
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance
- ↑ Star Wars: Empire at War
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 Star Wars: Empire at War: Forces of Corruption
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Starships of the Galaxy
- ↑ The Essential Guide to Warfare, p. 115
- ↑ The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- ↑ Dark Force Rising