- "…there's something I've always found interesting about this model of interrogation droid. It typically isn't programmed to know anything about a prisoner. All it knows is that you're the one in the cell—and that means you must be the interview subject. I've had prisoners break when no one's there to listen. They think they're talking to the droid, but it doesn't hear them. You can tell it anything and it doesn't care. It'll just keep working on you until someone tells it to stop."
- ―Captain Khione
- "Oh hello, IT-O. Big fan of your work."
Developed in secret by the Imperial Department of Military Research, IT-Os were used by the Galactic Empire to extract information from prisoners through the use of mind probes. Jedi, however, were known to have been trained to resist mind probes, requiring the use of other methods to procure information from them. An IT-O was attempted to be used on Avi Singh by Captain Bragg, though it never got the chance to torture the Separatist Senator since Clone Force 99 and GS-8 arrived to rescue him. One IT-O droid was used to interrogate Kanan Jarrus aboard Grand Moff Wilhuff Tarkin's Star Destroyer Sovereign. However, torture was eventually handed over to The Grand Inquisitor. Another IT-O was used by Governor Arihnda Pryce to interrogate the rebel Hera Syndulla after the failed attack on the Imperial fuel depot for the TIE/D Defender Elite project.
An IT-O was later used aboard the Death Star to extract information from Princess Leia Organa, although she proved to have considerable resistance to the mind probe. The IT-O was later deployed on Yavin 4 during the Empire's cleanup operations at the former Alliance base. Decades later, the First Order used a new model of interrogator droid that harked back to the IT-O model.
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "Zander's Joyride"
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "Escape from Coruscant"
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 9 (Weapons & Uniforms: Imperial Droids)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 14 (Databank A-Z: Dengar–Domino Squad) (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: Geektionary: The Galaxy from A - Z
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 27 (Highlights of the Saga: Battle of Kashyyyk)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 34 (Helmets: Death Star Trooper) (Picture only)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 53 (Highlights of the Saga: Operation Yellow Moon) (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Droidography
- Star Wars: How Not to Get Eaten by Ewoks and Other Galactic Survival Skills (Picture only)
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition
- Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian – "Directing"
- Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian – "Process"
- Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian – "Connections"
- (Picture only)
- The Art of Star Wars: The Mandalorian Season One
- "Darth Vader" – Star Wars Encyclopedia (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga: The Official Collector's Edition
Notes and references
- (First identified as IT-O Interrogation Unit)