- "You aren't gonna say you have a bad feeling about this, are you? I hate it when you say that."
- ―Han Solo to Luke Skywalker
The phrase even appears in non-Star Wars-related LucasArts games, such as the Monkey Island series as a tribute.
The expression also varies between "bad bad feeling," "very bad feeling," or "really bad feeling."
The A in the "bad" is, when spoken, is extended, as " I have a baad feeling about this"
Appearances in the Star Wars movies
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace: As Obi-Wan Kenobi's first line at the beginning when Kenobi talks to Qui-Gon Jinn onboard Saak'ak.
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones: Anakin Skywalker at Geonosis in the arena, in reference to the approaching execution beasts.
- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith: Obi-Wan Kenobi talking to Anakin Skywalker as their starfighters approach a large, closing blast door on Invisible Hand.
- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope: Luke Skywalker when approaching, and Han Solo says "I got a bad feeling about this." before the walls of the trash compactor start to close.
- Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back: Princess Leia inside the belly of the space slug, just before the mynocks appear.
- Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi: C-3PO when entering Jabba the Hutt's palace, and Han Solo when the Ewoks capture the strike team.
Appearances in the books
- During the course of his investigation in Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter, Obi-Wan Kenobi says "I've got a bad feeling about this" after seeing the results of the fight between Anoon Bondara and Darth Maul and questioning the locals about it.
- In Shatterpoint, Nick Rostu interprets one of Mace Windu's lines as "I have a bad feeling about this".
- In The Hive, it is said by Jesson Di Blinth.
- In the Revenge of the Sith novelization, Dooku has a "sudden, unexpected, overpowering and entirely distressing bad feeling about this" when Obi-Wan and Anakin begin to overpower him onboard Invisible Hand.
- In Coruscant Nights II: Street of Shadows, Den Dhur asks Laranth Tarak if "it would do any good now to say that I've got a bad feeling about this" while they are their on way to visit a Cephalon. Laranth tells Den to "Consider it indigestion, and deal with it."
- In Death Star, Kornell Divini recalls that Sullustan Den Dhur often said "I've got a bad feeling about this".
- In The Ruins of Dantooine Luke says "I have a bad feeling about this" after Dusque and Finn receive their briefing from Leia.
- Galaxy of Fear: Eaten Alive
- Galaxy of Fear: The Nightmare Machine
- Galaxy of Fear: Army of Terror
- The title of A Bad Feeling: The Tale of EV-9D9 partially quotes the phrase.
- In the Shadows of the Empire novelization Leia says this line as they attempt the unsucessful rescue of Han Solo from Boba Fett. Later, after Lando rescues Luke from a band of bounty hunters, Lando promptly cuts Luke off as he attempts to utter the line.
- In Heir to the Empire Leia says "I've got a bad feeling about this" before she and Han spot their would-be kidnappers. Later, she also asks why she suddenly has a bad feeling about visiting Lando. Han also says "I've got a bad feeling about this" when he goes into hiding before an Imperial delegation visits Talon Karrde's smuggler base.
- In Dark Force Rising, Luke says "I have a bad feeling about this" upon discovering Thrawn's cloned troops. Han advises him, "Join the club."
- In The New Rebellion, R2-D2 tells C-3PO that he has a "bad feeling" about the modifications that are being performed on Luke's X-wing. Later in the scene, when R2-D2 and C-3PO become the center of attention, C-3PO says that he himself has "a bad feeling about this." When Leia sees Kueller's detonator, she also has a bad feeling about it.
- At the end of Ambush at Corellia, Luke Skywalker states "I've got a bad feeling about this" after he uses the Force to get a general impression of the emotions of the inhabitants of the Corellian system. Also, Lando says not to say "I've got a bad feeling about this," and says, "something bad always happens when someone says that phrase." And at the end of the book, Lando says "I've got a bad feeling about this" describing the situation of the gravity wells.
- In Before the Storm, Han states "I've got a bad feeling about this" when he sees Nil Spaar giving a speech on the holomonitor.
- Uttered by Lando Calrissian in the short story Lando Calrissian: Idiot's Array
- In Young Jedi Knights: Heirs of the Force, Jacen Solo states "I have a bad feeling about this" when he discovers that his crystal snake had broken out of its cage and when Jaina expresses her belief that a derelict TIE Fighter can be fixed.
- In Young Jedi Knights: Shadow Academy, Jacen states "I have a bad feeling about this" when he realizes that he, Jaina, and Lowbacca are going to be subject to a kidnapping attempt. Brakiss also has a generalized "bad feeling" about the Jedi trainees while unbeknownst to him, they are in the middle of an escape attempt. He doesn't give voice to this bad feeling, however.
- In Young Jedi Knights: The Lost Ones Jacen states that he has a "good feeling" about the prospect of finding some space debris to shoot at before the Falcon reverts from hyperspace. Later in the book, C-3PO says "I have a bad feeling about this" after his unsuccessful attempts to comb Zekk's hair. Zekk shares the sentiment but does not say so.
- In Young Jedi Knights: Crisis at Crystal Reef, the phrase is spoken twice, once by Jacen, before finding out Zekk's ship was stolen by Anja, and by Tenel Ka, before the sea creature attacks the group's minisub.
- In Vector Prime, it is stated that "I have a bad feeling about this" is Han Solo's catch phrase.
- In Traitor, Jacen Solo says the line twice while investigating the dark side-infused ruins of the Jedi Temple.
- In Bloodlines, Mara refers to the line as having "the proverbial bad feeling". Also, later in the same book Leia and Han have a small exchange about the phrase.
- In Vision of the Future, before meeting Jorj Car'das, C-3PO utters "But I must say, I have a bad feeli-" before being interrupted.
Appearances in the comics
- In Tag & Bink Were Here Tag very often has "bad feelings about" whatever ploy or plan Bink has come up with, ranging from impersonating Stormtroopers to attempting to capture the Emperor
- In Tales of the Jedi: The Golden Age of the Sith, a Kirrek pirate at the Battle of Kirrek says "I've got a bad feeling about this!"
- In Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan: The Aurorient Express it is said by Obi-Wan Kenobi. Qui-Gon Jinn responds by saying, "I'd appreciate if for once you didn't feel obligation to mention that…"
- In Star Wars Republic 60: Hate and Fear, it is said by Obi-Wan Kenobi, while escaping from Rattatak.
- In Jedi: Yoda it is said by Pix during the Battle of Thustra.
- In Jedi: Shaak Ti, Sagoro Autem partially quotes it as "I got a bad feeling being out here".
- In Evasive Action: Reversal of Fortune, it is said by Ekria, as clones advance on the Jedi in the last panel of the series.
- In Falling Star, a young Biggs starts to say "Got a bad feeling 'bout this," but is cut off by Luke.
- In Ewoks 12: The Thorn Monster, Princess Kneesaa says the line when she sees the Thorn monster that Morag created.
- In the comic strip Darth Vader Strikes, C-3PO says "Frankly, Master Luke…I've a bad feeling about this."
- In Slippery Slope, Luke says "I've got a bad feeling about this" when he sees Milko flying through the jungle on a jetpack.
- In The Other, Leia tells Luke not to say he's got a bad feeling about it, saying "If I had a credit for every time I heard that..."
- In Lando's Commandos: On Eagles' Wings, it is said by Isolde Siro before they embark on their mission to stop the TIE Pirates. She almost died on the mission.
- In Union, Luke Skywalker begins to say it, but Mara Jade tells him to stop.
- In Storyteller, Remoh says it before entering the cave holding C-3PO.
- In Star Wars Infinities: A New Hope, as the Millennium Falcon approaches Coruscant, Han says: "I don't know what everyone's worried about. I've actually got a good feeling about this!" On seeing the size of the Imperial Fleet, he then says "Uh, on second thoughts, I've got a really really bad feeling about this."
- In The Emperor's Court (Star Wars Tales 14), Judge Palpatine begins his sentence with "Captain Solo, I've got a bad feeling about this".
Appearances in computer and video games
- In Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace it is said by Obi-Wan Kenobi in the opening cut scene aboard the Trade Federation Ship.
- In Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds it is said by Leia Organa during the first Rebel mission and by Han Solo during the third Wookiee mission. Several versions are also available using the chat feature.
- In Star Wars: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast it is said by Kyle Katarn in when he enters a cave infested with mine crabs on Artus Prime, as well as when he faces the prospect of navigating a series of horizontal crushers prior to facing Desann. It is also said by Imperial Workers if they hear but do not see Kyle Katarn.
- In Star Wars: Battlefront II it's said by Han Solo when playing as him; by Obi-Wan Kenobi when met by player on the battlefront and by the Rebel Commander when facing a losing battle.
- In Star Wars: Bounty Hunter it is said by Rozatta in the cut scene when Vosa's image fades.
- In Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic it is said by Mission Vao.
- In Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords it is said by Atton Rand when the Harbinger approaches Peragus, and before the group encounters Darth Sion and, by a TSF Officer on Telos. In cut content of the Droid Factory, HK-47 says "As a meatbag would say, I have a bad feeling about this." when his self-preservation program is changed.
- In Star Wars: Rebel Assault II: The Hidden Empire it's said by Rookie One in the Terrors sewers, right before Stormtroopers attack.
- In Star Wars: Empire at War it is said by Han Solo when moving him.
- In Star Wars: Empire at War: Forces of Corruption Tyber Zann says it as soon as he and Urai Fen enter a droid factory in Hypori.
- In Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader it's used by Luke Skywalker when piloting through a nebula along the Ison Corridor.
- In Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike Wedge Antilles coins the phrase during the beginning of the Mission to Destrillion.
- In Star Wars Galaxies Han Solo mentions it once he discovers Boba Fett is on Tansarii Point Station
- In Star Wars: The Force Unleashed Juno Eclipse the pilot of the Rogue Shadow says it to Galen Marek before he takes a dive into the Death Star. Galen replies with "Then maybe we're doing something right".
Appearances in television series
Appearances in Star Wars: Clone Wars
- In Clone Wars Chapter 11 Obi-Wan says it as Anakin chases Asajj Ventress.
- In Clone Wars Chapter 16 Padmé Amidala, worrying about Yoda's safety.
- In Clone Wars Chapter 22 Obi-Wan says the line on Nelvaan right before a horax attacks.
Appearances in Star Wars: The Clone Wars
- In "Shadow of Malevolence," it is said by a B1 battle droid about the ensuing battle.
- In "Rookies," Commander Cody says it as he and Captain Rex walk towards the Listening post on the Rishi moon.
- In "Downfall of a Droid," Anakin Skywalker says it just before his ship is critically damaged at the Battle of Bothawui.
- In "Duel of the Droids", Rex says it to Anakin Skywalker as they are surrounded by battle droids in Skytop Station. It is said as "I've got a bad feeling about this, general."
- In "Bombad Jedi", C-3PO responds to Jar Jar's plan at rescuing Padme.
- In "Lair of Grievous", Nahdar Vebb says it right before the floor gives way beneath him, Kit Fisto, and a few clone troopers.
Appearances in Star Wars: Droids
- In "Tail of the Roon Comets", C-3PO says the line as Mungo Baobab's ship enters a radioactive cloud in space.
Appearances in Star Wars: Ewoks
- In "Sunstar vs. Shadowstone", Princess Kneesaa says the line after seeing a strange light and hearing somebody (actually Morag) singing in a cave.
Appearances in Disney/Lucas's Star Tours Attraction
Outside of Star Wars
- In the 1995 TV movie Young Indiana Jones and the Attack of the Hawkmen, Indy is ordered to Berlin in a mission to bribe Anthony Fokker to work for the French. Just before he boards a biplane for Berlin, Charles Nungesser—who will be flying the plane—informs Indy that he must parachute into Germany. To this, Indy says the phrase. The line is also said by Indy in the episode "Austria, March 1917" and the film Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.
- The line is one of the possible lines uttered by Indiana Jones in the Disneyland Indiana Jones Adventure attraction as Indy dangles over the riders' transport. The line is uttered as a giant boulder begins rolling toward the jeep.
- In the episode A Pharaoh to Remember of the popular TV series Futurama, Philip Fry say, "At the risk of sounding cliched, I have a bad feeling about this!".
- In the computer game Doom 3, a man named Frank Cinders says in his PDA message "I've got a really bad feeling about this." Considering that in the sentence before that he used the word "droid" (unlike the usual Doom universe term of "bot"), it is unlikely to be a coincidence.
- In the console RPG Final Fantasy VI a man says "I have a bad feeling about this..." right before an apocalyptic event within the game.
- In the X-Box first person shooter "Halo", a marine says "I have a bad feeling about this..." right before his platoon are ambushed by flood. In halo 2, a grunt repeats the same line before his platoon is also ambushed.
- In the films of indie filmmaker Christopher R. Mihm (a noted Star Wars fan), the phrase appears three times in his debut, the award-winning "The Monster of Phantom Lake" and once in its sequel, "It Came From Another World"
- Security guards in Half-Life sometimes use the phrase.
- In BioWare's Mass Effect, the phrase is uttered often and by different characters.
- In the TV series Big Bang Theory, episode 12, a character says "A bad feeling I have about this, hmm" in a Yoda voice.
- In the Robot Chicken: Star Wars special, George Lucas says "I have a bad feeling about this" before being mobbed by fans at a convention.
- In the BBC TV comedy show "The Mighty Boosh", Bollo the gorilla's catchphrase is "I've got a bad feeling about this".
- In Stargate SG-1 season 9 episode Avalon, Mitchell says: "You ever get a bad feeling about something?" ... Then in season 10 episode Family Ties, Vala laments this quotable quote: "I have a bad feeling about this." to her father.
- In the Nintendo 64 video game Star Fox 64, Peppy says "I've got a bad feeling about this." at 'Aquas' level.
- In Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, Indy mutters the phrase at the end just before the room starts spinning and making strange noises.
- In the MMORPG RuneScape, one of the choices of QuickChat is "I've got a bad feeling about this."
- In the Sega Genesis game Shining Force II, during King Galam's escape in the light tubes BOWIE says "I have a bad feeling about this!".
- In Quake 4, Medic Egan from Wolf squad says the phrase during the first level aboard Hannibal.
- The 'Bad Feeling About This' page page with sound clips of the phrase
- All "I have a bad feeling about this" on Star Wars movies