- "Sir, the villagers?"
"Kill them all."
- ―Captain Phasma and Kylo Ren
Ilco Munica was an Abednedo male who lived as a member of the Church of the Force in the village of Tuanul on the planet Jakku. When the First Order attacked Tuanul in the year 34 ABY while searching for the vanished Jedi Master Luke Skywalker, Munica and many other villagers were captured as they tried to defend their homes. After witnessing the execution of villager Lor San Tekka and the capture of the Resistance pilot Poe Dameron, Munica and the other prisoners were themselves executed by stormtroopers under orders from First Order leaders Kylo Ren and Captain Phasma.
Villager of TuanulEdit
The Abednedo male Ilco Munica lived in the sacred village of Tuanul on the planet Jakku. Like the other residents of the village, he was a member of the Church of the Force, a religious group that praised the virtues of the Force despite not being able to use it.
In the year 34 ABY, a force of eighty stormtroopers serving the First Order assaulted Tuanul. They sought the retired explorer Lor San Tekka, a resident of the village who possessed part of a map that led to the hiding place of vanished Jedi Master Luke Skywalker.
Executed by the First OrderEdit
During the battle, Munica fought back but was outmatched by the First Order's professional soldiers. Munica screamed as a pair of stormtroopers forced him to his knees at gunpoint, before he and the village's other survivors were rounded up to huddle in a group. They watched as First Order enforcer Kylo Ren arrived and executed San Tekka upon learning that the old man no longer had the map. The execution prompted Resistance pilot Poe Dameron, who had been visiting San Tekka, to emerge from hiding and attack Ren, unsuccessfully.
When Dameron turned out not to have the map either, he was taken prisoner and dragged to Ren's shuttle. Captain Phasma, leader of the stormtroopers present in the village, then approached Ren and was given the order to execute the remaining villagers. On the captain's word, the troopers surrounding the captives opened fire with their blasters, killing Munica and all others present.
Personality and traitsEdit
Ilco Munica had mottled pink skin and black eyes. Like all residents of Tuanul, he rejected comforts and luxuries in favor of living an ascetic lifestyle. Munica was not a pacifist, but he chose to only use weapons that he and the other villagers had made themselves instead of those manufactured by large corporations that profited from violence.
While living at Tuanul, Munica wore a green pilgrim's robe and a pair of brown insulated boots. In battle, he used a blaster rifle built with parts that included a pump-action recharger and a salvaged industrial power shunt. The weapon's stock was weighted and so allowed the weapon to double as a war club.
Behind the scenesEdit
Ilco Munica first appeared in the 2015 sequel trilogy film, Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens. The screams and yells of the character were performed by voice actor Dee Bradley Baker, best known for voicing all of the clone trooper characters in Star Wars: The Clone Wars. The character was not named in the film but was identified in the reference book Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary, which was released alongside the film and written by Pablo Hidalgo.
Like all members of the Abednedo species identified by Hidalgo in the Visual Dictionary, Ilco Munica was named in reference to the music of the Beastie Boys, as The Force Awakens director J.J. Abrams is a fan of the group and frequently includes their music in his productions. Munica's name is a reference to the album Ill Communication.
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary (First identified as Ilco Munica)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens Mix & Match (Picture only)
- Ultimate Sticker Collection: Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens Series 1 (Card: Ilco Munica)
- (Indirect mention only) (as Alien Villager)
- "50 Things to Notice in Star Wars: The Force Awakens"—Star Wars Insider 165
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 18 (Highlights of the Saga: Assault on Jakku) (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- Star Wars: Geektionary: The Galaxy from A - Z
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Star Wars Helmet Collection 18 (Highlights of the Saga: Assault on Jakku) dates the attack on Tuanul, which includes Ilco Munica's death, to 34 ABY.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7 3.8 3.9 Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ Star Wars: The Force Awakens novelization
- ↑ "50 Things to Notice in Star Wars: The Force Awakens"—Star Wars Insider 165