The Imperial Era (stylized as Imperial-era), also known as the Old Empire era, the Age of the Empire, the Age of Rebellion or simply the Dark Times, was a period of time that began with the Proclamation of the New Order—the event that marked the reorganization of the democratic Galactic Republic into the autocratic Galactic Empire—at the end of the Clone Wars in 19 BBY. Within a generation, however, it ended with the Empire's dissolution through the signing of the Galactic Concordance in 5 ABY, approximately one year after the death of Galactic Emperor Sheev Palpatine at the Battle of Endor.
- "In order to ensure the security and continuing stability, the Republic will be reorganized into the first Galactic Empire! For a safe and secure society!"
- ―Sheev Palpatine, to the Galactic Senate
The Imperial Era was characterized by the implementation of the Emperor's political program, referred to as the New Order. Although the Emperor did bring peace to the galaxy as he had promised, that result was achieved through brutal repression. As a result, the Age of the Empire also saw the birth of the Alliance to Restore the Republic, whose members sought to overthrow the Emperor and restore democracy to the galaxy. The Rebel Alliance formally came into existence when former Senator Mon Mothma issued the Declaration of Rebellion after the Ghorman Massacre in 2 BBY. The Alliance was formed through a merger of several extant rebel cells including Mon Mothma's rebel cell, the Phoenix Cell, Spectres, and the Massassi Group.
The period of time during the Galactic Civil War (0 BBY-5 ABY) was also referred to as the Galactic Civil War-era, as the Rebellion-era, or as the era of Rebellion. The combination of the Emperor's death and the Empire's final defeat at the Battle of Jakku ultimately marked the end of both the Galactic Civil War and the Imperial Era, resulting in the dawn of a new age under the New Republic.
However, an Imperial remnant sought to overthrow the newly established Republic and reorganized into the First Order, a military-controlled state similar to the Empire. It eventually attacked the New Republic and started a war with the Resistance, an opposing military force created by Rebellion leader Leia Organa.
- Star Wars Rebels: A New Hero
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia (First identified as Imperial Era)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Head-to-Head (First identified as Old Empire era)
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- Ghosts of Dathomir
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Incredible Cross-Sections
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- Solo: A Star Wars Story The Official Guide
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- Star Wars: Alien Archive
- Star Wars: Scum and Villainy: Case Files on the Galaxy's Most Notorious
- Star Wars: The Secrets of the Jedi
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Aftermath: Empire's End
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ Bloodline
- ↑ Lords of the Sith
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "Fire Across the Galaxy"
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "Legacy of Mandalore"
- ↑ Darth Vader 16: The Shu-Torun War, Part I
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Star Wars Rebels – "Secret Cargo"
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "Zero Hour"
- ↑ Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- ↑ Star Wars: On the Front Lines
- ↑ 16.0 16.1 Lost Stars
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 17.2 17.3 Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- ↑ 19.0 19.1 A New Dawn
- ↑ screenshot) (
- ↑ Servants of the Empire: Edge of the Galaxy
- ↑ Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Incredible Cross-Sections
- ↑ Knights of Fate
- ↑ Poe Dameron 2: Black Squadron, Part II
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
screenshot) (First identified as Age of Rebellion)(