- "My lord, Military Intelligence was in the process of conducting an inventory of caches of armaments, vehicles, and supplies that had been left abandoned during the war on a host of contested worlds, from Raxus all the way to Utapau. In the case of the HoloNet jamming devices, MI wasn’t certain if the cache had been on Murkhana for several years, or if it was of more recent origin, and worthy therefore of further investigation. Given that an investigation of that sort fell outside its purview, MI relayed the matter to Imperial Security."
- ―Case officer Stellan provides a briefing to the Emperor
Imperial Intelligence, also known as Military Intelligence (MI) or Imperial Military Intelligence, was an espionage organization of the Galactic Empire that provided services to the Imperial Military, the Joint Chiefs, and Emperor Sheev Palpatine. It had oversight of the operations of the Naval Intelligence Agency which was briefly made its own separate organization before being folded back under Imperial Intelligence. The Imperial Security Bureau was a sister agency and rival to Imperial Intelligence over resources, abilities, and areas of responsibility.
Imperial Intelligence was the espionage service of the Imperial Military of the Galactic Empire. Imperial Intelligence focused on issues regarding the Imperial Navy such as threat reports, analysis, managing assets who gathered information, and providing briefings to the Joint Chiefs and Emperor Sheev Palpatine. Imperial Intelligence's specific purview meant that it had to refer other intelligence matters to the Imperial Security Bureau causing friction between the two organizations. A part of Imperial Intelligence, the Naval Intelligence Agency was briefly made its own separate organization, though it continued to be referred to as "Military Intelligence," before being folded back under Imperial Intelligence. The death troopers, who wore a specialized stormtrooper armor with a dark gleam, were the elite soldiers of Imperial Intelligence.
Another branch of Imperial Intelligence was the Imperial Information Office, whose personnel wore AJ^6 cyborg constructs, brain implants which could connect to computers and download information, to increase efficiency. Imperial Intelligence's resources including IGV-55 surveillance vessels, which were used to monitor communications and scan data for signs of rebel activity and sedition.
Imperial Intelligence was organized out of Republic Intelligence after the transformation of the Republic into the Empire at the end of the Clone Wars. Although their missions differed slightly, there was a rivalry between the Intelligence and the Imperial Security Bureau, a sub-agency of COMPNOR. Intelligence agents often derided the Security Bureau's obsession over treason. A common joke among them was that it took two ISB agents to change a lightbulb: one to remove it, and another to accuse the first of disloyalty. One day after the formation of the Empire, Imperial Intelligence arrested 63 senators on charges of conspiracy and treason. Several senators were part of the Delegation of 2,000, a group of senators who attempted to limit Palpatine's growing political power.
Berch Teller's campaignEdit
Five years later, when Governor Tarkin and Darth Vader visited Murkhana on an investigative mission, former Republic Intelligence officer Berch Teller and a few of his accomplices, including Anora Fair, hijacked Tarkin's vessel, the Carrion Spike. They killed the ship's captain and comms officer, along with two stormtroopers, before taking off. The Imperials forced a local Sugi crime lord to give up his ship to them, and attempted to stop the captured Spike. However, Teller and his crew got away.
After the successful hijacking, the insurgents of the Carrion Spike went on a campaign of destruction against various Imperial targets, such as Galidraan Station. Imperial Intelligence attempted to track and analysis their activities in order to capture them. The hijacker's information, however, was supplied to them by Vice Admiral Dodd Rancit, the Deputy Director of Naval Intelligence Agency. However, Rancit was revealed as a traitor and executed on Vader's orders. He was replaced by Wullf Yularen and Naval Intelligence was brought back under Imperial Intelligence.
Fighting the RebellionEdit
On Empire Day in 4 BBY, the Rodian Imperial Information Office employee Tseebo fled into hiding with invaluable data on the new TIEs and walkers, schedules of troop movements, tactics, strategies, and a five year plan for the planet Lothal and every other world in the Outer Rim Territories. Tseebo escaped offworld into hiding with the help of the Spectres rebel cell.
In 2 BBY,[source?] Imperial Controller LT-319 and the crew of his IGV-55 surveillance vessel embarked on ambitious scheme to hijack the Spectres' C1-series astromech droid Chopper and use him to obtain intelligence on the Phoenix Cell's hidden base. However, they were defeated by Chopper's rebel comrades and the former Imperial RA-7 protocol droid AP-5. Chopper's master Hera Syndulla retaliated by transmitting back the data feed to LT-319's ship, creating a data surge that destroyed the vessel and all hands aboard.
Galactic Civil WarEdit
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know (First identified as Imperial Intelligence)
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- Star Wars: On the Front Lines
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- Dawn of Rebellion (as Imperial Military Intelligence)
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- Star Wars: Scum and Villainy: Case Files on the Galaxy's Most Notorious
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 Dawn of Rebellion
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Star Wars Rebels – "Double Agent Droid"
- ↑ 4.00 4.01 4.02 4.03 4.04 4.05 4.06 4.07 4.08 4.09 4.10 Tarkin
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Star Wars Rebels – "Empire Day"
- ↑ Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- ↑ Star Wars: Commander