- "My contacts have uncovered a source of Data Fragments abandoned by the Empire's old Advanced Weapons Research division, once directed by Orson Krennic."
- ―Kada Jahr
The Imperial Military Department of Advanced Weapons Research, also designated as Imperial Advance Weapon Development or simply as the Imperial weapons division, was an agency of the Galactic Empire responsible for the development of emerging technologies for use by the Imperial Military. Weapons development fell under the arm of Imperial Intelligence, while it looked to the Imperial Security Bureau to defend the agency's secrets.
Advanced Weapons Research was responsible for Project Blackwing, a clandestine experiment to revive necrotic tissue. To ensure the secrecy of the Death Star project, the Imperial weapons division used poison canisters to perpetrate genocide against the Geonosian species. In 2 BBY, the Spectres and Saw Gerrera discovered several of these canisters on Geonosis during a mission to investigate the disappearance of the Geonosians. Sabine Wren recognized the canisters as belonging to the Imperial weapons division.
Under the leadership of Director Orson Krennic, Advanced Weapons Research was responsible for the completion of the long-delayed Death Star project. Krennic, however, was killed on the planet Scarif during the battle where the Rebel Alliance managed to extract the Death Star plans.
Notes and references
- Thrawn: Treason
- Star Wars: Commander
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- Star Wars Rebels – "Ghosts of Geonosis"
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide establishes that the mission to investigate Geonosis, seen in "Ghosts of Geonosis," occurred 2 years before the events of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. Star Wars: Galactic Atlas places the events of Rogue One in 0 BBY. Therefore the mission to Geonosis took place in 2 BBY.
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- Star Wars: Rogue One: Death Star Deluxe Book and 3D Wood Model