The Imperial Navy, also called the Imperial Armada, was the naval branch of the reconstituted Sith Empire's Imperial military. It fought against the Galactic Republic during the Great Galactic War and was maintained in the Cold War that followed. The Navy fielded a large fleet of warships of various classes throughout the War. It was constructed over centuries by orders of Grand Moff Odile Vaiken, who knew that he would not live to see a fraction of it complete.
When the original Sith Empire of Naga Sadow collapsed and the Sith went into exile in the Unknown Regions, the navy shrunk to a small group of ships used to travel by the remnant. After finding refuge on Dromund Kaas, the Sith began a massive build up of military forces under Grand Moff Odile Vaiken. He started construction on a massive armada that took nearly three centuries to complete, knowing he would not be alive when it was done. All non-Force-sensitive people living on Dromund Kaas were conscripted either into the Navy or the Imperial Army. Vaiken died during the first operation undertaken by the Navy, Odile Vaiken's final campaign against an alien race.
During the Great Galactic War, the Navy proved to be a vital component of the military. They transported Army troops to various worlds, taking part in various engagements with the Republic Navy. Those included Skirmish in the Tingel Arm, and the first and second Battles of Bothawui. In the final act of the war, a massive fleet was used to sack Coruscant, the capital of the Galactic Republic. It led to the Treaty of Coruscant, causing the Navy to stop activities.
The Imperial Navy was the naval branch of the Imperial Military, and was overseen by the Ministry of War alongside the Army.
- Note: some ranks contained variations/sub-categories to its distinction, essentially making two, or three different names for the same rank. I.E; Captain First-Class.
Order of BattleEdit
The primary vessel of the Navy was the Harrower-class dreadnought, a colossal dreadnaught produced by Taerab Starship Manufacturing and measuring approximately 800 meters in length. The Harrower-class was operated by 2,400 personnel with the capacity to hold an additional 7,300 marines. Commanders typically chose the Harrower-class as their command ship, finding its prevalence and size as a true example of Imperial dominance in battle.
Aiding the Harrower-class in a support role is the Terminus-class destroyer. A 500 metre warship armed more rigorously than its dreadnought counterpart which was built to act as an escort to the much larger vessel. Where many preferred the Harrower, Darth Marr—the Dark Councillor in charge of Military Operations—preferred the destroyer, often regarding it as a more sturdy vessel capable of more multi-purpose roles.
The two main shuttles used by the Sith Empire were the Imperial shuttle and the Imperial assault shuttle. The Navy deployed a number of starfighters—the Mark VI Supremacy-class starfighter and its numerous advanced models were the standard starfighter of the Navy, and they made use of B28 Extinction-class bombers as well as a variety of transports, assault craft, shuttles, and cruisers.
Dreadnoughts were the largest of the Empire's battleships. They represented the true power of the armada. Only one type of dreadnought was known:
Ships smaller than cruisers (and usually larger than frigates, though not always) but armed to the teeth with a variety of weapons. They mostly act as escorts for larger fleets (and likely not for single warships, but exceptions would certainly exist). The destroyers fulfill all sorts of roles because of how multi-purpose they are, even roles that could be fulfilled by other classes that are designed for that purpose. Most famous in the Empire is the:
- The Old Republic, Blood of the Empire Act 1: Shades of the Sith
- The Old Republic, Blood of the Empire Act 3: Burn the Future
- The Old Republic: Deceived
- The Old Republic, Threat of Peace Act 1: Treaty of Coruscant (First appearance)
- The Old Republic, Threat of Peace Act 2: New Galactic Order
- The Old Republic, Threat of Peace Act 3: Uncertain Surrender
- Timeline 1: Treaty of Coruscant
- Timeline 2: The Mandalorian Blockade is Broken
- Timeline 5: The Battle of Bothawui
- Timeline 6: Onslaught of the Sith Empire
- Timeline 11: Rebirth of the Sith Empire (First identified as Imperial Armada)
- The Old Republic: Fatal Alliance
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Star Wars: The Old Republic Volume 3: The Lost Suns
- The Old Republic: Annihilation
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Rise of the Hutt Cartel
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Galactic Starfighter
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Knights of the Eternal Throne
- The Art and Making of Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Book of Sith: Secrets from the Dark Side
- Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia