Imperial Navy Troopers, also known as Imperial fleet troopers, were soldiers of the Imperial Navy, the naval branch of the Galactic Empire's military. Those troopers, who were separate from the white-armored stormtroopers, were trained in advanced warfare and independent command, which included shipboard combat, repulsing boarders, and pacifying escaped detainees. Additionally, most were cross-trained in some operational duty. Like gunners and ground crewmen, Navy Troopers played a vital role in the day-to-day operations.
While not as feared by Rebel troopers as their Imperial stormtrooper brethren, they still maintained an aura of importance as they participated in Imperial military assaults on installations such as during the Siege of Inyusu Tor, the Battle of Endor, and other ground based excursions, such as the investigation of Mitth'raw'nuruodo's planet early in the era of the Galactic Empire. However, they were most commonly found guarding and maintaining far-away outposts, mining stations, and jails, and generally were not as well trained or competent.
Grand Moff Wilhuff Tarkin himself selected a number of Navy troopers, later known as Death Star Troopers, to set up a commanding force aboard the Death Star battle station. Aboard the Death Star, those elite troopers were charged with a variety of duties for which their combat skills were not necessarily required, such as guarding detention blocks and operating the battle station's planet-killing superlaser alongside Imperial weapons technicians.
There were three different uniforms worn by the troopers, although all featured the distinctive large, black protective helmet with a chinstrap. The first uniform was a black Imperial officer's uniform, sometimes complete with code cylinders and a rank insignia plaque. The other uniforms consisted of boilersuits similar to the ones worn by Imperial technicians. Just as with technicians, they could be black or light grey.
During the Lothal campaign, several navy troopers worked in Lothal's Imperial Complex's command center. During the final battle to liberate Lothal, former ISB agent turned Rebel Alliance Captain Alexsandr Kallus disguised himself as a trooper. The troopers then allowed Governor Pryce and the Rebels to land. When the rebels attacked, the troopers attempted to lock down the complex to no avail. The remaining navy troopers perished after Protocol 13 was initiated and the complex was destroyed.
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 6 (Weapons & Uniforms: The Imperial Fleet)
- Star Wars: Build Your Own R2-D2 7 (Building the Galaxy: The Star Wars Stunt Team; Droid Directory: LOM-series Protocol Droids) (Picture only)
- Solo: A Star Wars Story The Official Guide
- Allies and Adversaries
- Star Wars: How Not to Get Eaten by Ewoks and Other Galactic Survival Skills (Picture only)
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition
- Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian – "Score"
- Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian – "Connections"
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Star Wars: Card Trader
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Tarkin
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 Battlefront: Twilight Company
- ↑ Solo: A Star Wars Story The Official Guide
- ↑ Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith 9
- ↑ Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- ↑ Thrawn
- ↑ "The Trouble at Tibrin, Part II"—Star Wars Adventures 5
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "Family Reunion – and Farewell"