- "In addition to wiping away the Republic, the Emperor reset the dating system to the time before the formation of the Empire and the time after its formation—another display of absolute control."
- ―Leia Organa
Following Emperor Sheev Palpatine's proclamation of the New Order in 19 BBY, a new calendar was introduced with the day of the Galactic Empire's formation as its epoch. BFE stood for "Before the Formation of the Empire," and AFE for "After the Formation of the Empire."
Notable events expressed in the Imperial calendar
There were several dates recorded in this calendar:
Before the Formation of the Galactic Empire
- 3 BFE: First Battle of Geonosis
- 2 BFE: Battle of Kamino
- 1 BFE: Second Battle of Felucia
- 1 Month BFE: A Cantham House meeting.
After the Formation of the Empire
- 1 Day AFE: Senatorial arrests
- 14 AFE: The Rebel Files are created, and there is an armed rebellion in the Atrivis sector.
- 17 AFE: The Rebel Alliance is formally established, Battle of Atollon
- 19 AFE: Battle of Scarif, Battle of Yavin, Battle of Vrogas Vas
- 22 AFE: Battle of Hoth
- 23 AFE: Battle of Endor, Battle of Galitan
- 53 AFE: Battle of D'Qar
Behind the scenes
The Imperial calendar was first mentioned in the 2017 reference book Star Wars: The Rebel Files, written by Daniel Wallace. The 2021 reference book Star Wars: Battles that Changed the Galaxy uses the calendar to date all of the battles it details.