Imperial combat drivers were the elite ground-vehicle pilots of the Galactic Empire's Army. Standard combat drivers were trained to handle everything in the Imperial ground arsenal, including 614-AvA speeder bikes, Imperial Troop Transports, and various type of walkers like the All Terrain Defense Pod. They also flew Imperial LAAT/le gunships.
Several assault vehicles used by the Empire boasted a specialized corps of drivers. Such corps included AT-AT pilots driving All Terrain Armored Transports, tank operators piloting TX-225 GAVw "Occupier" combat assault tanks, and AT-ST drivers operating All Terrain Scout Transports. However, members of all corps were qualified to operate All Terrain Armored Cargo Transports, since they were not technically designated battlefield assault vehicles. Despite this, they still had a specialised driver group. AT-AT pilots saw themselves as the elite among the elite.
The generic armor worn by the Empire's combat drivers consisted of a jumpsuit, a cuirass, shoulder- and lower leg-armor, gauntlet-style gloves, and a domed helmet whose faceplate resembled that of Imperial cadets. That combat uniform gave the combat drivers an imposing countenance, and came in two different color schemes. The one worn by the Troop Transports drivers featured a black jumpsuit and field grey armor parts and helmet, while the one worn by AT-DP and speeder bike drivers had a light grey jumpsuit, field grey body armor, and a light grey helmet. In combat, they used an E-11 blaster rifle.
- AT-AT pilot—The field uniform of the AT-AT pilots resembled a white version of the one worn by TIE fighter pilots. It consisted of a light grey flight suit complete with webbing, along with white gloves, boots and helmet.
- AT-ST driver—Contrary to other branches, AT-ST drivers wore little armor. They donned light grey jumpsuits with pockets, a grey-green open face helmet, a belt, black boots and gauntlet gloves, and a pair of dark goggles.
- Tank driver—At the time of the Battle of Scarif, tank drivers wore a partial suit of plastoid plates that not only provided protection, but also permitted the flexibility required to sit in the confining quarters of a tank. Tank commanders wore the same armor, but with a black stripe across the top of their chest plate.
- AT-ACT driver—These pilots wore armor very similar to Scarif coastal defender stormtroopers, in a white and black color scheme similar to combat tank commanders.
- Star Wars Rebels: The Visual Guide
- Star Wars Rebels: Head to Head
- Rebel Journal by Ezra Bridger
- "Rebels, Animated"—Star Wars Insider 155
- Star Wars Rebels (Set: 75083 AT-DP)
- Star Wars Rebels (Set: 75141 Kanan Speeder Bike)
- LEGO Star Wars Rogue One (Set: 75152 Imperial Assault Hovertank)
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy
- Star Wars: Rogue One: Rebel Dossier
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: On the Front Lines
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles (Picture only)
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- (First identified as Imperial combat driver)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "Fighter Flight"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Star Wars Rebels – "Rebel Resolve"
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "Flight of the Defender"
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- ↑ Star Wars Costumes: The Original Trilogy
- ↑ 8.0 8.1
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "Empire Day"
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi