Imperial ground crews, also known as Imperial technicians, or Imperial deck technicians, were Imperial personnel who ensured the smooth operation of Imperial craft through regular maintenance at space-bound and ground-based Imperial installations, such as the major Imperial security complex on Scarif.
Imperial ground crews were stationed on Mimban during the Mimban Campaign in 10 BBY, where they were also equipped with capes. In 0 BBY, Jyn Erso disguised herself in the Imperial ground crew armor of Kent Deezling to enter the research and development installation on Scarif during the Battle of Scarif.
These crew members were vital as they could help direct traffic where automated systems could not typically make decisions fast enough as the landing fields changed. Preferring the analog method of landing craft, technicians eyeballed distances without sensors using their illuminated traffic wands. Technicians also wore piloting gear, as seen on Kent Deezling, as they were authorized to commandeer certain vessels into proper landing position.
Behind the scenes
Imperial ground crews first appeared in the 2016 film Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, and were later identified as Imperial deck technicians in Solo: A Star Wars Story The Official Guide, a reference book released in 2018.
- Solo: A Star Wars Story
- Obi-Wan Kenobi – "Part IV"
- "Tales of Villainy: The Short Goodbye"—Star Wars Adventures (2020) 5
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (First appearance)
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story novelization
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story audiobook
- Star Wars: Rogue One: A Junior Novel
- Star Wars: Rogue One: A Junior Novel audiobook
- Star Wars: Rogue One Graphic Novel Adaptation
- Rogue One Adaptation 5
- Shadow Fall
- Shadow Fall audiobook
- Victory's Price
- Victory's Price audiobook
- Star Wars Rogue One (Set: 75154 TIE Striker)
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- Solo: A Star Wars Story The Official Guide (First identified as Imperial deck technician)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 56 (Helmets: Imperial Ground Crew; Highlights of the Saga: Infiltrating the Citadel)
- TIE Fighter Owners' Workshop Manual
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition
- Star Wars: Battles that Changed the Galaxy
- (First identified as Imperial ground crew)