The Imperial research base was a facility located in Carbon Ridge on the planet Jakku. The base was operated by the Galactic Empire before and during the Battle of Jakku. The Empire's final goal during the battle was to prevent the New Republic fleet from reaching the base. Before retreating into the Unknown Regions, the remaining Imperial forces destroyed the facility. During the battle, All Terrain Armored Transports of the Hellhound attack force were deployed from the Star Destroyer Interrogator in a last ditched defense of the base. Before the base's destruction, a downed Imperial II-class Star Destroyer attempted to send TIE bomber reinforcements to back up the troops at the base, but their efforts were stopped by Iden Versio and Shriv Suurgav who destroyed the remains of the ship. A CR90 corvette, commanded by Captain Lindsey was making its way to the base, but was shot down before it could reach its destination. In the decades after the Battle of Jakku, only unverified stories remained of the facility which circulated upon the residents of the planet. The mysterious faction known as the Dead-enders were popularly believed to still be guarding the facility.
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary (First identified as Imperial research base)
- Rey's Survival Guide
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens Beginner Game
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 18 (Highlights of the Saga: Assault on Jakku)
- Star Wars: On the Front Lines
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 48 (Highlights of the Saga: Fire on Jakku)