The inertial compensator, also known as the inertial damper, acceleration compensator, deceleration compensator, deceleration equalizer, or drive compensatorwas a technology used in starships, especially in starfighters and other high-performance vessels. It compensated for the intense accelerations that a spaceship underwent in the course of its normal activities; without compensators, ships would either have to accelerate much more slowly, or cause a blackout to or even kill their occupants with excessive g-forces.
An average Human was capable of surviving around 5 gs, while a trained human in a flight suit was generally capable of surviving around 9 gs without suffering of negative effects. Even larger ships such as the Executor-class Star Dreadnought were capable of accelerations of over 1000 gs, which was well above lethal levels of acceleration, necessitating the use of inertial compensators on practically every ship.
Inertial compensators were often dialed back from full power by experienced pilots (from 97 to 95 percent), giving them just enough inertia to feel how the ship was performing without negatively impacting their ability to pilot the ship.
Though used primarily in starships, an inertial compensator could be installed in an airspeeder. Senator Simon Greyshade used one in his custom Narglatch XJ-6 airspeeder to protect riders from the harsh maneuvers the craft was capable of.
Behind the scenes
The 1998 Star Wars Encyclopedia has an "acceleration compensator" entry, which says these are used in "medium- and larger-sized spacecraft such as the Millennium Falcon." However, earlier books, such as X-Wing: Rogue Squadron, depict acceleration compensators in X-wings.
Inertial compensators may or may not be the same as repulsor-compensators.
- A Guide to the Star Wars Universe (as acceleration compensator)
- The Star Wars Sourcebook (as Acceleration Compensator)
- Starfighter Battle Book: X-wing vs TIE Interceptor (as Acceleration Compensator)
- The Rebel Alliance Sourcebook (as Acceleration Compensator)
- The Movie Trilogy Sourcebook (as inertial dampening system)
- A Guide to the Star Wars Universe, Second Edition, Revised and Expanded
- The Rebel Alliance Sourcebook, Second Edition
- Star Wars Sourcebook, Second Edition (as Acceleration Compensator)
- Platt's Starport Guide (as acceleration compensator)
- Star Wars Screen Entertainment
- Star Wars Technical Journal of the Rebel Forces
- Galladinium's Fantastic Technology (as inertia compensator)
- Galaxy Guide 5: Return of the Jedi, Second Edition
- The Truce at Bakura Sourcebook
- Shadows of the Empire Sourcebook
- The Secrets of Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
- Galaxy Guide 3: The Empire Strikes Back, Second Edition
- Introductory Adventure Game (as acceleration compensator)
- Rules of Engagement: The Rebel SpecForce Handbook (as inertia damper)
- Stock Ships (as inertia damper)
- Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Episode I Incredible Cross-Sections
- The New Jedi Order Sourcebook
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: The Official Starships & Vehicles Collection 24
- Millennium Falcon Owner's Workshop Manual
- Star Wars: Complete Vehicles
- Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game – IG-2000 Expansion Pack (Card: Inertial Dampeners)