The Internal Safeguards Division (ISD), also known as the Imperial Safeguards Division, was a branch of the Imperial Military charged with ensuring that the galaxy was safe for Emperor Palpatine to travel. It was rumored to use assassin droids to keep the galaxy "clean" by the year 0 ABY, despite an Imperial edict banning them with the rise of the New Order in 19 BBY.
Some sources claimed that one-third of all secret high-level ISD arrests and eliminations were completed by the Division's droids, though an agent was almost always on site. It was not known whether the Internal Safeguards Division's use of assassin droids was officially sanctioned, or if they were used illicitly by bureaus reluctant to give them up.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Internal Safeguards Division was first mentioned in The Star Wars Sourcebook, a 1987 Star Wars Legends sourcebook written by Bill Slavicsek and Curtis Smith for Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game.
- The Star Wars Sourcebook (First mentioned)
- Star Wars Sourcebook, Second Edition
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia (First identified as Imperial Safeguards Division)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 Star Wars Sourcebook, Second Edition
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. II, p. 95 ("Imperial Safeguards Division")
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 The Star Wars Sourcebook describes the state of the galaxy at the end of Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope. As The New Essential Chronology dates the film's final scene, the Royal Award Ceremony, to the year 0 ABY, it can be determined that the Internal Safeguards Division was in existence by 0 ABY.
- ↑ The New Essential Chronology
- ↑ The Star Wars Sourcebook