- "We're under attack by the Separatist garrison. Looks to be a full invasion."
The invasion of Scipio, also known as the Battle of Scipio, was a conflict that took place on the planet Scipio between the Galactic Republic and the Confederacy of Independent Systems during the Clone Wars. Having helped uncover corruption in the InterGalactic Banking Clan, Rush Clovis was appointed as the new head of the bank, only to be coerced by Count Dooku into raising interest rates for the Republic, at which point Separatist forces occupied Scipio to cement their position. The Republic responded with an invasion, allowing Supreme Chancellor Sheev Palpatine to strengthen the Republic economically.
Prelude[edit | edit source]
Following the appointment of Senator Rush Clovis as head of the Banking Clan, the Confederacy of Independent Systems and the Galactic Republic met on Scipio to preside over Clovis's installation as the the new head of the Banking Clan. The Republic representative, Senator of Naboo Padmé Amidala was accompanied by Clone Commander "Thorn" and a garrison of the Coruscant Guard's diplomatic service whilst the Confederate representative, Separatist Congress Leader Bec Lawise, was accompanied by several commando droids.
The battle[edit | edit source]
- "You may begin your attack. It is time to make Rush Clovis look like a powerful Separatist."
- ―Dooku, to Kraken
Clovis was then blackmailed by Count Dooku to raise the interest rates on the Republic and not the Separatists. This allowed the Confederacy to take full control of the Banks. Commander Thorn and his garrison then came under attack by Confederate forces. Thorn informed Amidala of this as Hyena-class Droid Bombers destroyed his ships, including a dozen Republic gunships and a Consular-class Armed Cruiser. Separatist HMP droid gunships then deployed B2-series super battle droids and more commando droids, who surrounded and killed Thorn and his men. Amidala informed Supreme Chancellor Sheev Palpatine and the Jedi. Dooku then arrived and had Amidala taken hostage.
Amidala was brought before Dooku, and when she refused to join him, Dooku ordered her to be arrested. Amidala then grabbed a blaster and Lawise refused to arrest her, knowing the Separatist Senate would not authorize her arrest. Dooku then forced Amidala to shoot Lawise.
The Galactic Senate then voted to launch a counter-invasion. Dooku then left the planet and returned to the blockade when the Republic fleet under Jedi General Anakin Skywalker arrived. There, the Confederate forces in space abandoned their units on the planet and jumped to hyperspace. The 501st Legion then went planet-side to fight the Confederate ground forces. After finishing off the last of the Confederate forces, Scipio was secured. General Skywalker then stormed into Clovis' office to rescue Amidala. A blast then hit the office and Clovis and Amidala were then thrown off the side of the ledge. Skywalker grabbed both Amidala and Clovis. However, Skywalker was unable to hold onto both of them leading Clovis to let go of Skywalker, falling to his death. Skywalker was able to pull Amidala up.
Aftermath[edit | edit source]
- "In hope of a better tomorrow, we cede control of the banks to the Office of the Chancellor of the Galactic Republic."
- ―Nix Card
Following the battle, Senator Nix Card informed the Galactic Senate that the Muuns had chosen to cede control of the banks to the Office of the Chancellor. As a result, Palpatine gained the financial means to build his planned Galactic Empire.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Sources[edit | edit source]
- (First identified as invasion of Scipio)
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 11 (Databank A-Z: Rush Clovis–Coruscant)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 34 (Databank A-Z: Davish Krail–Kuat Drive Yards) (First identified as Battle of Scipio)
- Star Wars: Build Your Own R2-D2 51 (Droid Directory: Super Tactical Droids)
- Collapse of the Republic (Indirect mention only)
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition (Indirect mention only)
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Rise of Clovis"
- The Mandalorian civil war begins in "The Lawless" and does not end until "The Phantom Apprentice." dates the events of "Crisis at the Heart" between "The Lawless" and "The Phantom Apprentice," so its events must be concurrent to the civil war.
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Bacara (★★★★) (link))
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Disappeared, Part I"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Crisis at the Heart"
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the trial of Ahsoka Tano and the mission to Utapau to 19 BBY. As the episode this event takes place within takes place between the events of the episodes the other events are attached to according to , this event must take place in 19 BBY.
- (Image 5 caption)
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith