The ion pistol was a type of ion gun that fired ion energy instead of blaster bolts. This type of energy disrupted electrical systems, making it an effective weapon against droids, vehicles, electronic devices, and cybernetically enhanced creatures. It was designed to be much more portable and less cumbersome than the ion rifle. Unlike the ion rifle, this weapon could be operated one-handed. The weapon was typically available for a cost of 250 credits.
Jawas carried ion pistols to disable droids and other electronics during their scavenging operations. A number of races, such as Jawas and Squibs, created ion pistols from scrap droid parts and blasters to assist in their capture of droids for refurbishing and selling. Often of shoddy quality, these weapon weighed considerably more than standard ion pistols and were said to have sometimes exploded in the user's hands.
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
- The Truce at Bakura (as DEMP gun)
- Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor
- Boba Fett: A New Threat
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided
- Imperial Sourcebook
- Arms & Equipment Guide
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 20 (BLA6, Ion Blaster)
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars Roleplaying Game Saga Edition Core Rulebook
- The Force Unleashed Campaign Guide
- The New Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology
- Star Wars: Attack of the Clones: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game – Squadrons Over Corellia (Card: Ion Stunner Pistol)