Irvin Kershner, nicknamed "Kersh," (April 29, 1923 – November 27, 2010) was the director of the 1980 film Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back. A graduate of the University of Southern California, Kershner had directed several major film and television hits, but retired in 1994 after completing SeaQuest DSV.
Biography[edit | edit source]
- "Of all the younger guys around, all the hot shots, why me? I remember he said, 'Well, because you know everything a Hollywood director is supposed to know, but you're not Hollywood.' I liked that."
Irvin Kershner originally turned down George Lucas's request to direct The Empire Strikes Back because he did not believe he could possibly improve upon A New Hope. Kershner agreed after Lucas told him he would concentrate on visual effects at the Skywalker Ranch and would leave directorial control to him; Kershner said Lucas told him it would be "[his] picture." Kershner wanted to take The Empire Strikes Back in a more serious direction than the first film, although he did not want to stray too far from what Lucas described as the "Saturday matinee, fun kind of film" it had been. Kershner later described directing the film as "one of the great experiences of my life." Kershner also had his funnier moments. For example, at the end of The Empire Strikes Back, Kershner wanted Luke to feel pain in his cybernetic hand, or the audience would find Luke putting his arm around Leia a little bit creepy.
Kershner did not return for Return of the Jedi, having spent almost three years on The Empire Strikes Back. However, he stated in retrospect he would have directed a film in the prequel trilogy had they been produced sooner. He was succeeded by Richard Marquand.
Bibliography[edit | edit source]
- The Empire Strikes Back Notebook
- The Jedi Master's Quizbook
- "Anthony Daniels: Remembering That Galaxy Far, Far Away"—The Lucasfilm Fan Club Magazine 1
- "Mark Hamill: 10 Years Later"—The Lucasfilm Fan Club Magazine 3
- "Irvin Kershner: Renaissance Director"—Star Wars Insider 27
- "Director: Irvin Kershner"—Star Wars Insider 49
- "Empire Builder"—Star Wars Insider 119
- Empire of Dreams
- "Assistant of the Empire"—Star Wars Insider 147
- "Back on Set!"—Star Wars Insider 160
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- The Empire Strikes Back DVD Commentary
- Ryan, Mike (2010-10-18). In Hindsight, Empire Strikes Back Director Irvin Kershner Would’ve Helmed One of the Prequels. Vanity Fair. Archived from the original on July 28, 2017. Retrieved on January 31, 2016.
- Obituary: Irvin Kershner dies at 87; film director. Los Angeles Times. Archived from the original on January 4, 2020. Retrieved on October 10, 2013.
[edit | edit source]
- Irvin Kershner on Wikipedia