J-1 proton cannons were a form of droid artillery that fired proton bombs. They were used by the Confederacy of Independent Systems during the Clone Wars against the Galactic Republic. They were deployed by the Separatists on the planets Ryloth, Geonosis, and Anaxes.
History[edit | edit source]
During the Confederacy of Independent Systems's occupation of Ryloth, the tactical droid, TX-20 and his battle droids set up a battery of five of these proton cannons in the city Nabat. When the Grand Army of the Republic attempted to land, the cannons were able to destroy one of the three assault ships. The cannons were then destroyed when Jedi General Obi-Wan Kenobi hijacked one, and proceed to fire on the others. During the Second Battle of Geonosis, they were used to stop Republic forces from reaching the primary droid foundry. A proton cannon used against the Republic ships during their landing phase was taken out by BTL-B Y-wing fighter-bombers. After their ground forces reached Point Rain, Jedi General Anakin Skywalker led his Padawan—Jedi Commander Ahsoka Tano—and clone troopers into the enemy lines, where they used Electro Magnetic Pulse grenades to take out the scanners on proton cannons. This allowed All Terrain Tactical Enforcers to enter without incident and take out the Geonosian defenses, including the proton cannons and shield generator. During Anaxes, they were used by the Separatists to stop the Republic during the Outer Rim Sieges, but failed.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
The J-1 proton cannon first appeared in the opening newsreel of The Clone Wars: Season One episode "Innocents of Ryloth." They later appeared in the unfinished storyreel of the episode "Unfinished Business," as well as its completed Disney+ adaptation.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Storm Over Ryloth" (First appearance) (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Innocents of Ryloth"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Liberty on Ryloth" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Landing at Point Rain"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Brain Invaders" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Unfinished Business"
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know (First identified as J-1 proton cannon)
- Star Wars: On the Front Lines
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 37 (Highlights of the Saga: The Battle of Ryloth) (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: X-Wing Second Edition – BTL-B Y-Wing Expansion Pack (Card: ) (Picture only)