- "Attention all flight personnel, report to your commanders immediately. We have been redirected to Scarif."
- ―J1-B2's stored memory from Yavin
J1-B2 was an R-series astromech droid, manufactured by Industrial Automaton. In 0 BBY, the droid was present in the Great Temple, headquarters of the Alliance to Restore the Republic on the moon Yavin 4, when the Alliance forces within were scrambled for an attack on the planet Scarif. The droid recorded the scramble orders and an image of the temple in a memory transcript.
The droid later came into the possession of the Droid Depot in Black Spire Outpost on the planet Batuu. During the occupation of Batuu by the First Order in 34 ABY, J1-B2 was displayed alongside BB-series astromech droids MB-12 and JB-9 in an alcove behind one of the counters in the depot. It had silver, black and white paneling and a black sensor. The droid's head was a conical frustum which was typically associated with R4 astromech droids in the R-series. It carried a star map showing a portion of the Western Reaches.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
J1-B2 appeared as a prop within the themed land Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, which opened to guests at Disneyland Park and Disney's Hollywood Studios Park in 2019. The prop is capable of emitting beeping sounds. It simultaneously appeared in the Star Wars: Datapad application launched alongside the themed land, with the application initially referring to the droid as GK-77, but later changing the name to J1-B2.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge – Droid Depot (First appearance, simultaneous with Star Wars: Datapad)
- Star Wars: Datapad – "J1-B2" (Screenshots: 1, 2, 3) (First appearance, simultaneous with Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge)
Sources[edit | edit source]
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded states that all R-series droids are manufactured by Industrial Automaton. Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia states that all astromech droids are second class droids. As Star Wars: Datapad – "J1-B2" (Screenshots: 1, 2) states J1-B2 is an R-series astromech droid, these characteristics must also apply to it.
- Star Wars: Datapad – "J1-B2" (Screenshots: 1, 2, 3)
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge – Droid Depot
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the events of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, which includes the Battle of Scarif, to 0 BBY.
- The Star Wars Book dates the Battle of Batuu, which is depicted in Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge via the attraction Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance, to 34 years after Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope. Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the events of A New Hope to 0 BBY, therefore the events of Galaxy's Edge, including J1-B2's appearance, must take place in 34 ABY.
- Star Wars: Datapad – "MB-12" (Screenshots: 1, 2)
- Droid Depot has official backstory elements that, while not directly published for the public, are officially canon details that can be obtained verbally from cast members working in the store.
- Star Wars Builders: Droids