- "We have been without an interpreter since our master got angry with our last protocol droid and disintegrated him."
- ―EV-9D9 and C-3PO
A masculine protocol droid served as the interpreter of Jabba Desilijic Tiure, a Hutt crime lord who led his own criminal empire, until he angered his master and was disintegrated, reducing the droid to a pile of scrap. Shortly before the Rescue of Han Solo in 4 ABY, EV-9D9, the supervisor of Jabba's Palace's droid pool, told C-3PO, Jabba's new interpreter, of his predecessor's fate and gestured towards the droid's remains, which had been dumped near the door of a furnace in her torture chamber.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
The interpreter droid was first mentioned in the 1983 film Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi, and his remains appeared in Return of the Jedi: Beware the Power of the Dark Side!, a 2015 young-readers novelization of the film written by Tom Angleberger.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Original Trilogy – A Graphic Novel (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi (First mentioned)
- Return of the Jedi: Beware the Power of the Dark Side! (First appearance) (Parts only)
- Star Wars: Return of the Jedi junior novelization (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: Return of the Jedi Graphic Novel Adaptation (Mentioned only)