Jad Bean, nicknamed "Scorch," was a human male who served in the Galactic Empire as a Death Star Trooper during the Battle of Endor. Bean later served the First Order as a flight instructor, and as the commander of Zeta Squadron, a squadron of TIE/fo space superiority fighters. Even by First Order pilot standards, Bean was very fanatical to the First Order's cause. Bean and his squadron participated in the siege of D'Qar, engaging MG-100 StarFortress SF-17 bombers.
Under the Empire
- "The security deflector shield will be deactivated when we have confirmation of your code transmission."
- ―Jad Bean
Jad Bean, nicknamed "Scorch," was a human male who lived during the Imperial Era. By 4 ABY, Bean served as a Death Star Trooper of the Imperial Navy on the second Death Star and was situated in a control room. During the Battle of Endor against the Rebel Alliance, Bean was in the room alongside Death Star commander Moff Tiaan Jerjerrod and Lieutenant Endicott.
After Jerjerrod was ordered by Emperor Palpatine to fire the superlaser and the gunners were ready to fire, Jerjerrod signaled to Bean to fire. Bean reacted to Jerjerrod's command, and the battle station fired on the Alliance Fleet, destroying the MC80 Star Cruiser Liberty. Eventually, the Rebel Alliance destroyed the second Death Star, and the battle resulted in the death of Emperor Palpatine, Darth Vader, and many Imperials.
Serving the First Order
- "When you climb into your cockpit, and settle into your seat, and ease your finger close to the trigger on your control stick, know that the TIE fighter and its cannons are nothing without the instrument that makes them operational. You are the instrument. You are the weapon. Let's fly."
- ―Jad Bean
Bean survived the destruction of the second Death Star and the end of the Galactic Civil War, eventually joining the First Order, a successor military junta of the Empire. Bean, now a First Order TIE Fighter Pilot, rose to the rank of commander and served as Zeta Leader of Zeta Squadron, a starfighter squadron in the First Order military.
Concurrently, Bean also served as a flight instructor in the First Order. Bean participated in the Siege of D'Qar against the Resistance in 34 ABY, leading his squadron of TIE/fo space superiority fighters against the Resistance's MG-100 StarFortress SF-17 bombers.
Personality and traits
During the Battle of Endor, Jad Bean did not hesitate to follow Jerjerrod's orders of firing the superlaser of the second Death Star. Years later, Bean had risen through the ranks and taught pilots. While serving the First Order, Bean was extremely fanatical to the Order's principles, even by the standards of First Order pilots.
Behind the scenes
Jad Bean first appeared in the 1983 original trilogy film Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi. In canon, he was first identified in the 2019 reference book TIE Fighter Owners' Workshop Manual.
- (Picture only)
- Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game – TIE/fo Fighter Expansion Pack (Card: Zeta Leader—TIE/fo Fighter)
- Star Wars: X-Wing Second Edition – First Order Conversion Kit (Card: ) (Reissued in TIE/fo Fighter Expansion Pack)
- TIE Fighter Owners' Workshop Manual (First identified as Jad Bean)
- Star Wars: X-Wing Second Edition – Fury of the First Order Squadron Pack (Card: )
Notes and references
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- TIE Fighter Owners' Workshop Manual
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas places the Battle of Endor at 4 ABY. Bean participated in that battle.
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: X-Wing Second Edition – TIE/fo Fighter Expansion Pack (Card: "Scorch"—Zeta Leader—TIE/fo Fighter)