- "My name is Jak'zin. I doubt you would remember me."
- ―Jak'zin, to Dooku
Jak'zin was a Togorian Jedi Knight who traveled to Sullust to investigate the Kaldana Syndicate, a criminal syndicate who had made inroads on the planet. While there, he crossed paths with the former Jedi Master Dooku, who he had seen when he was younger. Dooku, secretly a Sith Lord, gained Jak'zin's trust and found out about his mission, offering to help him. The pair found the Kaldana syndicate, who surrounded them, and Dooku activated his lightsaber, which was red colored. They fought off the criminals, but Jak'zin felt distrustful of Dooku and his red lightsaber, being the color of a Sith's. Dooku revealed his true allegiance and used the Force to manipulate a blaster, shooting Jak'zin through the chest.
- "I haven't seen you since I was a youngling at the Jedi Temple, before you left the Order. But I'll never forget your dueling demonstrations with Master Yoda. Your skill with a lightsaber was simply inspirational."
- ―Jak'zin, to Dooku
A Togorian male, Jak'zin joined the Jedi Order. As a youngling, he watched dueling demonstrations done by the Jedi Grand Master Yoda and his Jedi Apprentice Dooku, which he found inspirational. Jak'zin came to know Dooku's own apprentice Qui-Gon Jinn as well. However, Dooku became disillusioned with the Order and left, returning to take up his legacy in becoming the Count of Serenno. In his absence, Jinn was killed by the Sith Darth Maul, in 32 BBY. Jak'zin soon heard rumors circulating among the Jedi about Dooku, the most common being that Dooku was starting his own order of Force-sensitives.
Mission to SullustEdit
- "…we're surrounded, aren't we?"
"For the moment…but I don't believe that moment will last."
- ―Jak'zin and Dooku, who reveals his red lightsaber
Jak'zin eventually ascended to become a Jedi Knight in the Order. Sometime prior to the plot to assassinate Padmé Amidala in 22 BBY, he was sent to the planet Sullust to investigate the Kaldana Syndicate, which had proved themselves to be a problem to the Galactic Republic. Whilst on Sullust, he crossed paths with Count Dooku, whilst the Count was there to undergo contract negotiations with Representative Kap Klyp of SoroSuub Corporation and also secretly to seek out the Kaldana Syndicate for his Master. Jak'zin commended Dooku's Jedi days and mentioned knowing his apprentice, Jinn. As Klyp was eager to get back to business, Dooku invited Jak'zin to join them for dinner.
Over dinner, Dooku and Jak'zin discussed the rumor of Dooku starting his own order. Dooku dismissed it, explaining he was looking after his family interests on Serenno. When he asked Jak'zin why he was at Sullust, the Togorian told him it was private business for the Jedi High Council. That evening, Dooku approached Jak'zin, wanting to walk with him. The count asked him about how dangerous his mission was, which he remarked that the Jedi had sent him for a reason. Dooku then brought up his apprentice, Jinn, as Jak'zin had mentioned him earlier that day. They both spoke highly of the late Jedi Master and Dooku mentioned wondering whether his death could have been prevented if he was around, adding that the presence of Jinn's own apprentice, Obi-Wan Kenobi, wasn't enough to save him. As Dooku finished, he convinced Jak'zin to reveal his mission by comparing Jinn's death without a master with the Torogian's mission that he was doing alone.
As Jak'zin finished explaining his mission to investigate the Kaldana Syndicate, Dooku offered to go with him. Jak'zin was skeptical about this, but Dooku convinced him otherwise by pointing out his investment in Sullust. Allowing Dooku to join him, Jak'zin immediately began jumping across the roofs of the city with the count behind him. They soon reached a location where Jak'zin had tracked the Kaldana Syndicate to, but the Togorian did not know their numbers. Dooku suggested a more diplomatic approach to the Kaldana, and they both went up to the door of the building. As Jak'zin knocked on the door, a hatch opened to his right and a blaster fired at him. Dooku Force pushed him out of the way and he thanked the count.
Using his lightsaber, Jak'zin cut through the door and began deflecting blaster shots from members of the Kaldana Syndicate. As he fended off several more of the Kaldana, he discovered crates of weapons, deducing that the syndicate was arms dealing. The pair were then surrounded by almost a dozen of the criminals. While Jak'zin processed their situation, Dooku revealed his lightsaber. Much to the Togorian's surprise, it was red colored, symbolizing Dooku's true allegiance, to the Sith. The Kaldana then open-fired, and Dooku and Jak'zin proceeded to kill them one by one. After finishing them off, Jak'zin questioned where Dooku's had gotten his red lightsaber. Dooku claimed that he had made it and used the Force to lift a blaster and shoot Jak'zin through the back.
Personality and traitsEdit
- "I can't help but notice that whatever your mission, you face it alone. Forgive an old man for thinking that perhaps this time he could make a difference."
"Well, you were a Jedi Master once…"
- ―Dooku gains Jak'zin's trust
Jak'zin idolised Dooku, even after the man left the Jedi Order. This clouded his judgement of the count when they conversed and he was manipulated into revealing his mission to Dooku, as well as bringing him along, although he was weary about it. Jak'zin saw no fault in his decisions until Dooku revealed his red lightsaber, and even then, he did not immediately assume the count was a Sith. Jak'zin was a male Togorian with yellow eyes orange and white fur and black stripes that occupied his orange fur.
Behind the scenesEdit
- "Out today is Star Wars Age of Republic: Count Dooku, perhaps the most fun of the series to write. Art by @LukeRossMarvel and #JavaTartaglia. FYI, the tiger dude is a Togorian, a species last drawn by Luke in Thrawn!"
- ―Jody Houser
Jak'zin first appeared in the canon comic Age of Republic - Count Dooku 1, written by Jody Houser, illustrated by Luke Ross and released on February 13, 2019. Houser later confirmed Jak'zin to be a Togorian on Twitter.
- Age of Republic - Count Dooku 1 (First appearance)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 Age of Republic - Count Dooku 1
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 screenshot) (
- ↑ Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- ↑ Dark Disciple
- ↑ Tarkin
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- ↑ In Age of Republic - Count Dooku 1, where Jak'zin solely appears, it is mentioned that Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn is already dead. So we can place the continuity of the issue before then. It is also seen that the Jedi do not yet know what Dooku is truly doing following his secession from the Jedi Order. Seeing that Dooku is the public leader of the Confederacy of Independent Systems during Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones, we can say that Dooku's encounter with Jak'zin is prior to the events of the film, which begins with the plot to assassinate Padmé Amidala.