Jake Lloyd (born on March 5, 1989) played nine-year-old Anakin Skywalker in Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace defeating Taylor Wells in the casting for the character, and provided the voice for Anakin in a number of Star Wars video games.
Biography[edit | edit source]
He is best known for his performances in the films Jingle All the Way and Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace. Jake's latest film, Madison, was filmed in 2001 but not released until April 2005.
While Lloyd's role as the young Anakin Skywalker in The Phantom Menance brought him fame, he was negatively affected by the stressful criticism of his performance in the film. Lloyd also resented the publicity that his role brought him including relentless bullying at school and being interviewed sixty times a day. Lloyd's resentment towards George Lucas led him to quit acting in 2001 and to destroy all his Star Wars memorabilia. Lloyd reprised his role as the young Anakin in five video games.
In 2007, Jake graduated from Carmel High School in Carmel, Indiana. After graduating from high school, Lloyd studied film and psychology at Columbia College Chicago. In August 2012, Lloyd announced that he pursuing a career in writing and directing. One of his projects was a documentary about Tibetan refugees in India, who were attempting to escape persecution from the Chinese government.
In June 2015, Lloyd was arrested in South Carolina for reckless driving, resisting arrest, and failing to stop for a police officer. In April 2016, Lloyd was reportedly diagnosed with schizophrenia and transferred from prison to a psychiatric facility.
Filmography[edit | edit source]
Star Wars[edit | edit source]
Jake Lloyd portrayed Anakin Skywalker in the following productions:
Other[edit | edit source]
|Unhook the Stars||1995||J.J.||First Film|
|Jingle All the Way||1996||Jamie Langston|
|Madison||2001||Mike McCormick||Last Film|
Bibliography[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- "Jake Toys With Success"—Star Wars Galaxy Collector 7
- "A Jedi Trio"—Star Wars Insider 46
- Star Wars: The Complete Vader
References[edit | edit source]
- Jake Lloyd Biography (1989-). Film Reference. Archived from the original on July 20, 2018. Retrieved on November 23, 2017.
- Parker, Heidi (2016-04-11). Star Wars: The Phantom Menace actor Jake Lloyd is diagnosed with schizophrenia and is moved from jail to psychiatric facility after June arrest. The Daily Mail. Archived from the original on September 30, 2018. Retrieved on November 23, 2017.
- Bugbee, Teo (2015-06-15). The Real-Life Fall of Anakin Skywalker: Jake Lloyd's Journey From 'Star Wars' to the Slammer. The Daily Beast. Archived from the original on July 9, 2019. Retrieved on November 23, 2017.
- Star Wars child actor, Carmel grad arrested in South Carolina. Indy Star (2015-06-22). Archived from the original on July 14, 2019. Retrieved on November 23, 2017.
- Actor who played Anakin Skywalker as child swears off Star Wars for gooda. NBC News (2012-03-09). Archived from the original on December 22, 2017. Retrieved on November 23, 2017.
- Jake Lloyd moves on from Star Wars to pursue writing and directing. Global Dispatch (2012-08-29). Archived from the original on December 22, 2017. Retrieved on November 23, 2017.
- French, Megan (2016-04-11). Star Wars Actor Jake Lloyd Moved From Jail to Psychiatric Facility for Schizophrenia: Report. US Weekly. Archived from the original on April 14, 2019. Retrieved on November 23, 2017.
- Jake Lloyd's family releases statement on 'Star Wars' actor's mental health 'struggles'. Yahoo Entertainment (January 31, 2020). Archived from the original on January 31, 2020. Retrieved on February 1, 2020.
- Jake Lloyd's Family Shares Update On Former 'Star Wars' Actor. Heroic Hollywood. Archived from the original on February 1, 2020. Retrieved on January 31, 2020.
[edit | edit source]
- Jake Lloyd on Wikipedia