- "My lords, ISB fears that political dissenters may be planning to launch a propaganda operation similar to the wartime Shadowfees but directed, of course, against the Empire."
"That's a bit far-fetched, Colonel, even for ISB."
- ―Wullf Yularen and Janus Greejatus
Janus Greejatus was a human male official who served on the Ruling Council of the Galactic Empire. Prior to the Age of the Empire, he represented the office of Supreme Chancellor Sheev Palpatine at the homecoming of Poggle the Lesser on the planet Geonosis. Following the end of the Clone Wars and the birth of the New Order, Greejatus continued to serve Palpatine, now the Emperor of the galaxy. He perished when the Death Star was destroyed by the Rebel Alliance.
During the Clone Wars, a pan-galactic civil war between the Galactic Republic and Confederacy of Independent Systems, Janus Greejatus served as an emissary of Supreme Chancellor Sheev Palpatine. During the homecoming of Poggle the Lesser, Greejatus attended the ceremony—alongside several other dignitaries, including Ars Dangor, Sly Moore, Sate Pestage and Lieutenant Commander Orson Krennic—which took place in the Petranaki arena, on the planet Geonosis.
Greejatus would go on to serve Palpatine as one of his closest advisers after the latter's rise as Emperor of the Galactic Empire. Grejatus walked around like a god on his homeworld. In 14 BBY, he was serving in the ranks of the Imperial Ruling Council, a governing body which consisted of the Emperor's advisers who oversaw the daily management of the Empire.
In the years leading up to the Galactic Civil War, Greejatus and his colleague, Sim Aloo were tasked with collecting Sith artifacts from across the galaxy for their master. The Emperor heard rumors of an book of dark power guarded by monsters in a forest on the planet Ushruu and expressed interest in having it for himself. Greejatus hired a team of Trandoshans to retrieve the book from the Ushruu. However, the Trandoshans were eaten by the queen snarler, and Greejatus' plan failed.
In the year 4 ABY, Greejatus accompanied the Emperor aboard the second Death Star. He and the five other advisers on board all perished when the battle station was destroyed during the Battle of Endor.
Personality and traitsEdit
Janus Greejatus was a gaunt human male of short stature, with brown hair and light skin. He had a puffy face with dark, sunken eyes. Like the other members of the Imperial Ruling Council, he wore baggy robes of garish color and floppy hats, which were not unlike the garb of the Naboo noblemen.
Behind the scenesEdit
- "On Jedi, one of the most exciting things from a design point of view was the advisers who surround the Emperor. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what they might look like because I thought it was important that through them you might understand what the Emperor's world is like. Coming from a Catholic background, I sort of made a joke, and that's why they look like bishops. So they wear red, and they have elaborate headgear. This was a challenge because it wasn't in the script, and you see them only briefly in the movie."
- ―Nilo Rodis-Jamero, on the designs of Janus Greejatus and the other Imperial advisors
Janus Greejatus first appeared as an unnamed Imperial advisor in the 1983 film Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi. The character, who was portrayed by an uncredited background extra, went unnamed until the name "Janus Greejatus" was used in the Star Wars Legends Star Wars Customizable Card Game pack Death Star II Limited. The name was then canonized with its inclusion in James Luceno's 2014 novel Tarkin.
Greejatus' costume was designed by Nilo Rodis-Jamero. Rodis-Jamero felt that the look of the Imperial advisors was one of the most exciting designs from Return of the Jedi and thought their design would need to convey an idea about the kind of world that the Emperor lived in. Rodis-Jamero based the look on that of Catholic bishops, with red coloring and ornate headpieces.
- Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel
- Tarkin (First identified as Janus Greejatus)
- The Mighty Chewbacca in the Forest of Fear! (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi (First appearance)
- Return of the Jedi: Beware the Power of the Dark Side!
- Star Wars: Return of the Jedi junior novelization
- (Picture only)
- (Video clip only)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 10 (Weapons & Uniforms: Imperial Dignitaries)
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- Rise of the Separatists
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Star Wars Helmet Collection 10 (Weapons & Uniforms: Imperial Dignitaries)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 5.5 Tarkin
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel
- ↑ Return of the Jedi: Beware the Power of the Dark Side!
- ↑ The events of Tarkin take place five years after the rise of the Galactic Empire, which Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates to 19 BBY. Therefore, Tarkin must be set in 14 BBY.
- ↑ The Mighty Chewbacca in the Forest of Fear!
- ↑ Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Death Star II Limited (Card: Janus Greejatus)
- ↑ Star Wars: The Annotated Screenplays