- "Perhaps it was the latent mystic abilities of my own race mingling with the flame-god itself or perhaps it was something…greater."
- ―Cody Sunn-Childe
The Jashwik were a species of orange-skinned, jowled humanoids that hailed from the planet of Jashwa and were related to the Sullustans of Sullust. Cody Sunn-Childe was a Jashwik. He once theorized that his species was possibly a naturally Force-sensitive one.
Biology and appearance
Like their Sullustan cousins from Sullust, the Jashwik were a humanoid species, with two arms, two legs, and a head. Their face had a mouth and a nose, two eyes, all arranged in the same approximate positions as on a Human's head. They had peach-colored skin and their thick-lipped mouths were filled with white, blunt teeth. Their eyes were globulous and egg-shaped, with a yellowish sclera and a small black pupil. Their arms ended in hands with four long, claw-like fingers, including an opposable thumb to aid grasping. Contrary to the Sullustans, who sported wide, round earlobes, the Jashwik had tapered ears. Males of the species also had the ability to grow hair, both on the top of the head and on the cheeks and chin. The Jashwik also had knees that bent forward, thus allowing them to sit on their buttocks with their back upright. During emotional stress, a Jashwik would go though a perspiration process to maintain normal body temperature. It was speculated that the whole species was naturally keenly attuned to the Force, a mystic energy that flowed through all living things and bound the galaxy together, but only in a latent way.
Society and culture
Some male Jashwik favored shoulder-length hairstyles and dressed in bright colors—including yellow, red and blue. At least one individual was known to have worn leather-like high boots with a blousing shirt and a cape.
Jashwik in the galaxy
A well-known Jashwik was Cody Sunn-Childe, who was successively the administrator of the Wheel space station during the Clone Wars, a hero of the Rebel Alliance and the mayor of his own extradimensional city.
Behind the scenes
The Jashwik first appeared in Star Wars 46: The Dreams of Cody Sunn-Childe, the forty-sixth issue in the Marvel Star Wars series of comics, which was published on January 20, 1981. Cody Sunn-Childe, who was introduced and killed off in the very same issue, is the only known representative of this species in canon. In Star Wars 46, Sunn-Childe only referred to the Jashwik as "my own race." The proper species name was not revealed until 2013, when Abel G. Peña wrote Viva Space Vegas! The History of the Marvelous Wheel for the official StarWars.com blog. In the same article, Peña also established the genetic relationship between the Jashwik and the Sullustans, a jowled species first introduced in the 1983 movie Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi.
- Star Wars 46: The Dreams of Cody Sunn-Childe (First appearance)
- (First identified as Jashwik)
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 1.9 Star Wars 46: The Dreams of Cody Sunn-Childe
- ↑ In Viva Space Vegas! The History of the Marvelous Wheel, it was revealed that the Jashwik were related to the Sullustans, who were referred to as Near-Human in the Millennium Falcon novel.
- ↑ In Star Wars 46: The Dreams of Cody Sunn-Childe, the Jashwik character Cody Sunn-Childe was shown to be smaller than Lando Calrissian. The official StarWars.com Encyclopedia lists Calrissian's height as 1.78 meters.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Alien Encounters
- ↑ A Guide to the Star Wars Universe, Second Edition, Revised and Expanded