Jawa Trade Talk, also known as Jawa Trade Language, was a simple language that the Jawas of Tatooine used when trading droids with non-Jawas. The moisture farmer Owen Lars could at least understand it. Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker knew the language fairly well.
- Mob un loo?—"How much?"
- Mombay m'bwa.—"That's mine."
- Tandi kwa!—"Give it back!"
- Untinni!—"Come on!" or "Let's go!"
- Togo togu!—"Hands off!"
- Omu'sata.—"Shut up."
Behind the scenesEdit
Jawa Trade Talk first appeared in the 1977 movie Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope. Sound designer Ben Burtt created a script for the Jawa voice actors using the African Zulu language, and then sped it up in postproduction. Though the language was only based on Zulu, some native speakers of the language, like The Daily Show host Trevor Noah, can translate.*
- Thrawn: Alliances (Mentioned only) (First identified as Jawa Trade Language)
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First appearance)
- Star Wars: A New Hope junior novelization
- "Stories in the Sand"—From a Certain Point of View
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know (First identified as Jawa Trade Talk)