- "Han? Han Solo? I'm twice the pilot he is. There— what did I tell ya? Could Solo pull off a landin' like that?"
- ―Jaxxon, while crash-landing the Rabbit's Foot
Jaxxon, nicknamed Jax, was a male smuggler who belonged to a rabbit-like sentient species. He was an acquaintance of Han Solo, a fellow smuggler turned hero of the Rebel Alliance, whom he regarded as an inferior pilot.
At some point during the Galactic Civil War, Jaxxon and the pirate Amaiza Foxtrain were hired by Prizzi, Queen of Livorno, to safely deliver the last eggs of her kind to Princess Leia Organa of the Rebel Alliance. Once aboard the smuggler's starship the Rabbit's Foot, Jaxxon and the queen realized that the eggs were not hers when they hatched, revealing hostile flying creatures. It turned out that Foxtrain had double-crossed him, slipping away with the real eggs.
Nevertheless, Jaxxon managed to track her to the space-bound casino known as the Wheel, where the pirate was trying to sell the purloined eggs to the highest bidder. There followed a three-sided scuffle between Jaxxon, Foxtrain, and an agent of the Galactic Empire. Having released the flying pests from earlier on his former associate, the long-eared smuggler got away with the eggs. He then brought the precious cargo to Leia Organa and Han Solo.
Upon receiving Organa's thanks, Jaxxon asked his droid Mel to bring forth the eggs, which the robot accidentally dropped. While all reacted in shock, Jaxxon knew that he had been sent on wild goose chase, and that those eggs were fake as well. The Rebels then admitted that, knowing the Empire were closing in on the eggs, they used Jaxxon's mission as a decoy while Solo smuggled the genuine articles in his own ship. Nevertheless, Jaxxon was glad to learn that not only the Alliance would pay him what he was owed, but that Solo himself would have to repair his ship.
Personality and traitsEdit
- "How am I supposed to fly this thing with ya screamin' yer head off?"
With his long ears, large pair of buck teeth, and short green fur, Jaxxon resembled a common rabbit, which owed him epithets such as "cottontail" or "green-ears." He was lanky and tall, measuring over 1.80 meters. He was fond of dewback steaks.
Behind the scenesEdit
Jaxxon made his debut in Star Wars 8: Eight for Aduba-3, a 1977 comic written by Roy Thomas and illustrated by Howard Chaykin. It was the eighth issue in the Marvel Star Wars series of comics, and the second original Star Wars comic story. He made additional appearances in the ninth, tenth, eleventh, and sixteenth issues of the series, and also had a cameo in The Clone Wars: Invitation Only, a short webcomic written by Pablo Hidalgo that was published in 2009. However, those stories are part of the Star Wars Legends continuity, formerly known as the "Expanded Universe," and therefore are no longer canon as of the 2014 reboot.
Nevertheless, he would enter the new Star Wars canon through his appearance in "The Lost Eggs of Livorno," a short comic penned by Cavan Scott and illustrated by Alain Mauricet that was published as the secondary story of Star Wars Adventures Annual 2018 on April 18, 2018.
Even prior to his canonization, there were nods to Jaxxon in the post-reboot era. As early as 2014, Marvel Comics' Star Wars writer Jason Aaron mentioned the "giant bunny rabbit" as the Legends character he would most like to canonize. Jaxxon was also featured on several variant covers, including one of Star Wars 1: Skywalker Strikes, produced by artist John Tyler Christopher, one of Vader Down, Part I, made by Chip Zdarsky, and one of Poe Dameron 1: Black Squadron, Part I, illustrated by David Nakayama. In The Force Awakens, Part III, the third issue of the six-part adapation of Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens, a humanoid rabbit was seen from the back during a crowd scene at Maz Kanata's castle.
On March 19, 2018, a character resembling Jaxxon was seen on Ord Mantell in "Bounty Hunted," the sixth episode the canon animated micro-series Star Wars: Forces of Destiny' second season. The same model was used again in the episode "Triplecross".
- "The Lost Eggs of Livorno"—Star Wars Adventures Annual 2018 (First appearance)
- Choose Your Destiny: A Luke & Leia Adventure (Mentioned only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 "The Lost Eggs of Livorno"—Star Wars Adventures Annual 2018
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 In "The Lost Eggs of Livorno," Jaxxon is shown to be taller than Han Solo who, according to his Databank entry, is 1.80 meters.
- ↑ Star Wars 8: Eight for Aduba-3
- ↑ Star Wars 9: Showdown on a Wasteland World!
- ↑ Star Wars 10: Behemoth from the World Below
- ↑ Star Wars 11: Star Search!
- ↑ Star Wars 16: The Hunter
- ↑ The Clone Wars: Invitation Only
- ↑ Jaxxon lives – A special Easter present from Star Wars Adventures
- ↑ Beard, Jim (2014-07-27). SDCC 2014: Star Wars. Marvel.com. Retrieved on July 27, 2014.
- ↑ Zdarsky brings Jaxxon to "Star Wars: Vader Down" Variant Cover. Comic Book Resources (2015-10-20).
- ↑ Dullard, Lisa (2016-03-01). STAR WARS: POE DAMERON #1 Comes to Comic Shops With an Epic Celebration!. Coffee With Kenobi. Retrieved on March 17, 2016.
- ↑ The Force Awakens, Part III
- ↑ Star Wars: Forces of Destiny – "Bounty Hunted"
- ↑ Star Wars: Forces of Destiny – "Triplecross"