After years of full-scale war with the Sith, the Old Republic gradually declined and fell. Following the collapse of its government, a number of star systems united to form the Galactic Republic. As its governing body, the newly reorganized government established the Galactic Senate, the members of which were elected to represent their systems. The Republic's capital was installed on Coruscant, which had already existed for several thousands of years. The new government united much of the galaxy under the rule of democracy until it was replaced by the Galactic Empire at the end of the Clone Wars in 19 BBY.
The Jedi OrderEdit
Even as the Old Republic collapsed, the Jedi emerged victorious from their wars with the Sith, thanks to the Sith weakening themselves by infighting in order to gain power. Despite discovering the last Sith Lord's principles, when he was defeated, the Jedi believed in their hubris that the Sith were extinct from the galaxy. Due to the Galactic Republic's demilitarization, the Jedi Order fully embraced their responsibilities as peacekeepers and rejected their roles as soldiers. Assisted by the Republic Judicials, the Jedi were responsible for maintaining law and order, namely by mediating conflicts to bring about peaceful solutions between various rival factions and planets, as well as serving as interplanetary law enforcement by pursuing wanted and dangerous criminals, pirates, and smugglers.
Following the war, when the galaxy entered into a period of time known as the Great Peace. During that time, the Jedi constructed a new academy on Coruscant to train Jedi younglings in the way of the Force.
As it turned out, one Sith, Darth Bane, survived. Realizing that his fellow Sith Lords destroyed themselves with their greed for power, he reformed the order by establishing the Rule of Two, mandating that only two Sith—a master and an apprentice—could exist at any given time, lest they fall prey to infighting. Another reason he created the Rule of Two, was so the Sith could operate in secret. The Sith abandoned their traditional homeworld of Moraband after it was scarred by many wars. Eventually Darth Bane was killed and was buried in the Valley of the Dark Lords on its surface, but the Rule of Two continued on through his apprentice. The Sith stayed in hiding for a thousand years, their survival unknown to the Jedi, as they plotted their revenge against the Jedi Order. The Sith remained a distant memory until the rise of Darth Sidious, a Dark Lord of the Sith, and his apprentice, Darth Maul, in the last days of the Galactic Republic.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Jedi-Sith War was first mentioned in the 2016 reference book Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy. It was first identified in the 2019 Fantasy Flight Games reference book Rise of the Separatists.
- Darth Maul 4 (Indirect mention only)
- Darth Maul 5 (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace (First mentioned) (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Sacrifice" (Indirect mention only)
- Tarkin (Indirect mention only)
- ""—Star Wars Adventures Ashcan (Mentioned only) (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy
- Star Wars: Geektionary: The Galaxy from A - Z
- Rise of the Separatists (First identified as Jedi-Sith War)
- Star Wars: The Secrets of the Jedi
- (Indirect mention only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Star Wars: The Dark Side
- ↑ 4.00 4.01 4.02 4.03 4.04 4.05 4.06 4.07 4.08 4.09 4.10 Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 Tarkin
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 Rise of the Separatists
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Sacrifice"
- ↑ Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ The New Essential Chronology
- ↑ Dark Forces: Jedi Knight