- "Heeded my words not, did you? Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness… folly… failure, also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke… we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
- ―Yoda's Force spirit, to Luke Skywalker
Only Masters were allowed to serve on the Jedi High Council. A notable exception to this, however, was when Anakin Skywalker was appointed to the Council as a representative of Supreme Chancellor Sheev Palpatine despite only being a Jedi Knight.
- "With their years of knowledge and experience, these great leaders were known to have an unparralleled connection to the Force."
- ―Luke Skywalker
A Jedi Master was a Jedi Knight who had been offered a higher ranking within Jedi Order as a result of a Jedi Grand Master seeing the Knight fit for the position. Upon being given the rank, the Jedi Master was able to and expected to pursue their own studies, moving forward in their experience with the Force on their own terms. In fact, the Jedi High Council outright expected all Jedi Masters to do so.
Often groups of Jedi younglings would receive their early education in the ways of the Force under the guidance of a single Jedi Master. The younglings would then receive more direct training under the direction from either a Jedi Knight or a Jedi Master.
- "The title of Jedi Master was bestowed upon the most powerful members of the Jedi Order."
- ―Luke Skywalker
In the time of the High Republic, the Jedi High Council notably consisted of three Jedi Grand Masters; Lahru, Pra-Tre Veter, and Yoda all elected to share the role. Other masters of High Republic Era included Jora Malli, Stellan Gios, Sskeer, Oppo Rancisis, Yarael Poof, and Avar Kriss.
As one of the oldest Jedi Masters in the order's history, Yoda, over the course of his 800-year-long career as a Jedi Master, trained no fewer than 20,000 Jedi and held the position of Jedi Grand Master for over 200 years.[source?]
In the years of the Galactic Republic, the Jedi High Council was made up of twelve Jedi Masters, one which bore the title of Grand Master, who had the power to grant Jedi Knights the title of Master, in consensus. Other prominent Jedi Masters who also sat on the Council included members such as Mace Windu, Kit Fisto, Adi Gallia, Yaddle, Saesee Tiin, Agen Kolar, Even Piell, and Shaak Ti. Many Jedi Masters also took on apprentices to train in the ways of the Force, such as Depa Billaba and Luminara Unduli.
After serving as a Jedi Knight for three years, Anakin Skywalker advanced to the point in his training that he felt he deserved the rank of Jedi Master, though the Council did not agree. When Supreme Chancellor Sheev Palpatine appointed Skywalker to the Council as his personal representative, the Council reluctantly agreed, hoping to use him as a means to spy on Palpatine. However, the Council did not grant Skywalker the title of Master. Skywalker took this as both an outrageous and unfair insult, as no Jedi in the history of the Jedi Order had ever been placed on the Council without receiving the rank of Master.
Following the Battle of Exegol in 35 ABY, Rey took up the family name of her mentors Luke Skywalker and Leia Skywalker Organa Solo. Now the last Jedi, Rey Skywalker eventually ascended to the rank of Master.
Notes and references
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- The Star Wars Book
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars film
- Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi
- Star Wars: The Secrets of the Jedi
- The High Republic: Light of the Jedi
- Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- A New Dawn
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Weapons Factory"
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- The Secrets of the Jedi
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary dates the events of Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker as taking place one year after the Starkiller Incident, which Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates to 34 ABY. Therefore, the events of Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker must take place in 35 ABY.
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Expanded Edition