- "Cease hostility!"
- ―A Jedi Temple Guard, to Barriss Offee and Anakin Skywalker
The Jedi Temple Guard was a security force maintained by the Jedi Order and tasked with the protection of the Jedi Temple on Coruscant, the capital planet of the Galactic Republic. An ancient and honored tradition in Jedi history, the Temple Guards were Jedi Knights plucked from the ranks to become anonymous sentinels as part of their lifelong commitment to the Order. Concealed within formal robes and a mask, the life of a guardsman was a higher calling that required absolute emotional detachment. Armed with lightsaber pikes—a double-bladed lightsaber that produced rare and distinctive yellow plasma blades—the Guards served under the head of security, Jedi Master Cin Drallig. During the Clone Wars, Padawan Barriss Offee was arrested by the Temple Guards for committing treasonous acts against both the Order and the Republic.
With the end of the Clone Wars, the fall of the Jedi Temple and the Galactic Empire's rise to power, at least one of the Temple Guards survived the Jedi Purge by pledging his allegiance to Darth Sidious, the Dark Lord of the Sith and Galactic Emperor, and joined the Inquisitorius—Jedi hunters trained in the ways of the dark side of the Force by the Emperor's Sith apprentice, Darth Vader. The former Guard was granted the title of Grand Inquisitor.
During the Age of the Empire, the Grand Inquisitor committed suicide after failing to defeat Padawan Kanan Jarrus. At the Emperor's command, Vader deployed additional Inquisitors to hunt the Jedi fugitive and his compatriots. Upon journeying to the abandoned Jedi Temple on Lothal, Jarrus encountered the spectral forms of several Temple Guards, including the Grand Inquisitor through a Force vision. After passing the Jedi Trials, the Grand Inquisitor declared Jarrus a full-fledged Knight of the Jedi Order, a status the Inquisitor once held before his fall from the light side of the Force.
The Jedi Temple Guard was an ancient, honored heritage within the hallowed halls of the Jedi Temple that reported to head of security Cin Drallig. The Temple Guards were anonymous Jedi Knights who committed themselves to the Order. The Guards would disappear inside the robes and identity-concealing masks, which was the ultimate expression of emotional detachment required. These armored masks concealed a comlink and an in-helmet scanner. The Jedi Temple Guard's robes incorporated layers of armorweave to provide them with an effective defense against blaster bolts and lightsabers. Temple Guards carried lightsaber pikes—thick, double-bladed lightsabers that produced a rare and distinctive yellow blade. Each lightsaber was assigned to the guards in order to help maintain the anonymity of their ranks.
By the time of the Clone Wars, Jedi Temple Guards were responsible for guarding the Jedi Temple on Coruscant. Later, several Temple Guards intervened in a lightsaber duel between the Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker and the rogue Padawan Barriss Offee. After Offee was exposed for framing Ahsoka Tano, several Temple Guards led her into custody. During Order 66, Skywalker, now Darth Vader, attacked the Jedi Temple with clone troopers. As Skywalker and the clones marched up to the Temple, one of the Temple Guards recognized Skywalker, in confusion he spoke Skywalker's name under his breath before he was cut down by the fallen Jedi.
The Grand Inquisitor, a Pau'an who headed the Galactic Empire's Inquisitors, was a former Temple Guard and Jedi Knight. About three years before the Battle of Yavin, several spectral Temple Guards including the Pau'an who became the Grand Inquisitor appeared in Kanan Jarrus' Force vision at the Jedi Temple on Lothal. After dueling with him, the spectral form of the Pau'an Guard knighted him as a Jedi Knight. These spectral guards later delayed the Inquisitors known as the Fifth Brother and the Seventh Sister; allowing Kanan and his companions to flee into hyperspace aboard the Phantom.
Behind the scenesEdit
At Dragon Con 2018, Henry Gilroy revealed an idea that the Grand Inquisitor actually murdered the other Jedi Temple Guards when Order 66 happened to allow Anakin Skywalker and the 501st Legion access into the Jedi Temple.
- Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes
- Choose Your Destiny: An Obi-Wan & Anakin Adventure
- Star Wars: Forces of Destiny—Ahsoka & Padmé
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Sabotage" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Wrong Jedi"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Voices"
- Kanan 8: First Blood, Part II: The Towers of the Temple
- Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith 6: The Chosen One, Part VI (Appears as statue)
- Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith 7: The Dying Light, Part I (Appears as statue)
- Star Wars Rebels – "Shroud of Darkness" (Vision)
- Star Wars Rebels – "Twilight of the Apprentice" (Mask only)
- Star Wars Rebels – "An Inside Man" (Mask only)
- Star Wars Rebels – "Family Reunion – and Farewell" (Mask only)
- Star Wars 9: Showdown on the Smuggler's Moon, Part II (Helmet only)
- Force Collector (Vision to Karr Nuq Sin)
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge – Dok-Ondar's Den of Antiquities (Voice only) (Appears in holocron)
- (First identified as Jedi Temple Guard)
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars Super Graphic: A Visual Guide to a Galaxy Far, Far Away
- Dawn of Rebellion
- Star Wars Lightsabers: A Guide to Weapons of the Force
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3
- ↑ Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Star Wars Rebels – "Shroud of Darkness"
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Force Collector
- ↑ Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ Keeping the Peace
- ↑ Nexus of Power
- ↑ Star Wars: Lightsabers: A Guide to Weapons of the Force
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Wrong Jedi"
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "An Inside Man"
- ↑ Star Wars 9: Showdown on the Smuggler's Moon, Part II
- ↑ Highlights of the ‘Star Wars’ Animation Panels at Dragon Con 2018. TWG. thewookieegunner.com (2018-09-08). Retrieved on January 19, 2019.