These Jedi Knights opted to stay in one place, operating alongside a sector or system government and ensuring diplomacy was maintained in all matters. These Jedi would also oversee the testing and reporting of any Force-sensitive born in their sector, turning the child over to the Acquisition Division if positive result was returned. The Watchmen's role in the Order was canonized in Jedi writing with the publication of The Jedi Path: A Manual for Students of the Force and the inclusion of text written by Jedi recruiter Morrit Ch'gally.
The Watchmen's presence in the galaxy ebbed and flowed with the passage of time. Arca Jeth, an Arkanian Jedi master with several Jedi apprentices under his guidance, was appointed Watchman to Onderon system and duly brought peace to the war-torn system before his demise on planet Deneba. During the rule of the Sith Triumvirate, the Watchmen had been extinct for decades, with Meetra Surik, under the alias of the Jedi Exile, being the first to show interest in the role since the start of the First Jedi Purge. Returning with the rebuilding of the Order, the Watchmen took up their familiar posts all throughout the galaxy. Studying special Force techniques to better equip themselves for their missions, Watchmen were skilled at fading into the background, allowing them to subtly manipulate political events in a benevolent fashion so as to sustain peace and prosperity. Serving as an extension of the Council of Reconciliation and the Jedi High Council, the Watchmen were trusted to make their own decisions based on their familiarity with the local governments, without having to report back to the Councils before making every decision.
In the event that a Watchmen should step down or join one of the Jedi Councils, another Knight was assigned as replacement, such as in the cases of Masters Ki-Adi-Mundi and Grand Master Yoda, who were replaced by Knights Tarr Seirr and Kai Justiss respectively. Master Yoda, however, kept a very close friendship with the people of Kashyyyk, a relationship that would save his life during the Great Jedi Purge.
Behind the scenes
In the computer game Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords, Jedi Watchman is one of the six prestige character classes which the main character can select after reaching level 15. Like its dark side counterpart, Sith assassin, this class corresponds to the Jedi Sentinel non-prestige class.
- Tales of the Jedi – The Golden Age of the Sith 4 (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi - Dark Lords of the Sith
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- The Old Republic: Fatal Alliance
- Star Wars 32 (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars 33 (In flashback(s))
- Star Wars 34
- Hero of Cartao
- (Mentioned only)
- Dark Empire endnotes (First mentioned)
- "Straight from the Horse's Mouth: A Guide to the Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi Universe, Part 1"—Star Wars Insider 26
- "Straight from the Horse's Mouth: A Guide to the Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi Universe, Part 3"—Star Wars Insider 28
- Tales of the Jedi Companion
- Power of the Jedi Sourcebook
- The Essential Chronology
- Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords: Prima Official Game Guide
- The New Essential Chronology
- "Unknown Soldier: The Story of General Grievous"—Star Wars Insider 86
- Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force
- Knights of the Old Republic Campaign Guide
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Jedi Path: A Manual for Students of the Force