- "This is Master Obi-Wan Kenobi. I regret to report that both our Jedi Order and the Republic have fallen, with the dark shadow of the Empire rising to take their place. This message is a warning and a reminder for any surviving Jedi: trust in the Force. Do not return to the Temple. That time has passed, and our future is uncertain. Avoid Coruscant. Avoid detection. Be secret... but be strong. We will each be challenged: our trust, our faith, our friendships. But we must persevere and, in time, I believe a new hope will emerge. May the Force be with you always."
- ―Obi-Wan Kenobi's warning in the recall signal
The Jedi beacon was a device housed within the Jedi Temple's central security station that served as a means of contact for all Jedi throughout the galaxy. Its typical purpose was to be programmed with a signal that could alert all Jedi to return home to Coruscant. In its simplest form, it consisted of a basic alert signal that was a steady pinging noise. There were also other components, which could send detailed text and holographic messages.
During a youngling lesson at the Jedi temple, Caleb Dume wondered if it could also be programmed to warn Jedi away from Coruscant. Though some were shocked by this, Obi-Wan Kenobi agreed that there could be unexpected reasons why such a message would be necessary.
As part of the siege of the Jedi Temple, Darth Vader activated the beacon to recall the Jedi to Coruscant. The idea behind this was to lure any Jedi who survived Order 66 to the Temple, unaware of the true circumstances, where they would be murdered by the troopers stationed there. Kenobi, however, altered the transmission to a holographic recording of himself to warn the Jedi away. At least two Jedi, Caleb Dume and Cere Junda, received Kenobi's broadcast. Caleb was in hyperspace on the way back to Coruscant and was thus warned to not land on the planet. Junda received it and uploaded the transmission to a holocron.
Behind the scenes
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith (First appearance)
- A New Dawn
- A New Dawn audiobook
- Kanan 2
- Darth Vader (2017) 10 (Indirect mention only)
- Kanan 3
- Ahsoka (Mentioned only)
- Ahsoka audiobook (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (Transmission only)
- Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion (Transmission only)
- Star Wars Rebels – "Twin Suns" (Transmission only)