The Jedi star compass was a palm-sized circular device. The compass could be open and shut like a locket, held in place by an aurodium clamp. The lid of the compass was engraved with astromeridian etch lines, while the innards of the compass were stylized with a graduated bezel. At the center of the device was a plasma-encased supraluminite lodestone that was attuned to specific points in hyperspace. Luke Skywalker's compass was attuned to a route leading to Ahch-To, where the first Jedi temple was located.
One such compass was kept by Emperor Palpatine in an observatory on the planet Pillio. During a mission, he undertook to Pillio, the Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker found the compass whilst visiting the observatory and took it to keep rather than leave it behind to be destroyed by Del Meeko, who intended to obliterate the observatory.
Sometime later, Ulina told a story that claimed a scavenger gifted Skywalker with the compass shortly after the Battle of Jakku, and that the compass had been found in an Imperial case labeled "Pillio."
At the time of his Jedi temple's destruction, the compass was sitting on Ben Solo's bedside table when Luke went to confront his nephew. Afterwards, Luke used the compass to locate the planet Ahch-To.
First Order eraEdit
Behind the scenesEdit
- Star Wars Battlefront II (First appearance)
- The Legends of Luke Skywalker (First mentioned)
- Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Expanded Edition
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary
- Ultimate Sticker Collection: Star Wars: The Last Jedi
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary (First identified as Jedi star compass)