The Jerne system was located within the Kanz sector, a part of the New Territories portion of the Outer Rim Territories. It contained the planet Jerne, which was orbited by two moons and was home to the Jerni species. By 0 ABY, however, millennia had passed since the Jerni inhabited their homeworld. At some point, a group of Humans colonized the planet, and the Galactic Empire eventually established a base there.
Between 0 ABY and 3 ABY, the Rebels Luke Skywalker and Leia Organa traveled to the system in search of an artifact, known as the Eternity Crystal, that they believed to be located on Jerne. Skywalker and Organa encountered several Imperial TIE fighters there, which caused the pair's starship to crash on the planet's surface. After discovering that, in reality, the crystal did not exist, the Rebels left Jerne via a stolen Imperial scout ship.
Behind the scenes
The Jerne system first appeared in the comic story "Dark Knight's Devilry," which was written by Steve Moore, illustrated by Alan Davis, and first published in the The Empire Strikes Back Monthly 153 in January 1982. It was first named by the 2009 reference book The Essential Atlas, authored by Jason Fry and Daniel Wallace, which placed it in grid square N-4.
- "Dark Knight's Devilry"—The Empire Strikes Back Monthly 153 (First appearance)
- "Dark Knight's Devilry"—Classic Star Wars: Devilworlds 1
- "ComicScan: Paint Him Black"—Star Wars Galaxy Magazine 11 (Picture only)
- The Essential Atlas (First identified as Jerne system)
Notes and references
- The Essential Atlas
- "Dark Knight's Devilry"—The Empire Strikes Back Monthly 153
- In "Dark Knight's Devilry," which depicts the mission to Jerne, Luke Skywalker wields his father's lightsaber, which he acquires during the events of Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope and loses during those of Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back. Both A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back correspond to the time period between 0 ABY and 3 ABY, respectively, per The New Essential Chronology.
- Star Wars Legends Epic Collection: The Original Marvel Years Vol. 3