- "The boy is here to see Padmé."
"Let him in."
- ―Jerus Jannick and Rabé
Jerus Jannick was a human male Palace Guard of the Royal Naboo Security Forces, which served the Royal House of the planet Naboo. Carrying an S-5 blaster pistol and a comlink, he wore a helmet with armor plating polished in a Naboo aesthetic, leather neck covering, and an adjustable chin strap. Jannick also donned a uniform armored with a top coat and designed to absorb energy blasts while giving its wearer freedom of movement. The uniform featured a utility belt with pouches for ammunition and a communicator, and Jannick wore boots with high-traction soles designed to allow for moving silently.
In 32 BBY, the human boy Anakin Skywalker visited the chambers of Naboo Queen Padmé Amidala on the planet Coruscant, at the entrance of which Jannick was standing guard. When Skywalker arrived, Jannick used his comlink to inform the handmaiden Rabé that Skywalker was there in search of Padmé. Skywalker went in, only to be informed by Rabé that Padmé was unavailable.
Behind the scenes
- "I wanted to meet George Lucas, and I said, 'Please, can you give me any part at all?' And they said, 'Well, we've got Naboo Officer or we've got Palace Guard.' So I took both."
- ―Dominic West
Jerus Jannick first appeared in the 1999 prequel trilogy film, Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace, where he was portrayed by actor Dominic West. On October 15, 2020, the character was identified in the new Star Wars canon in an installment of This Week! in Star Wars, a weekly video series released on the official Star Wars YouTube channel. West revealed in an interview that he had wanted to meet Star Wars creator George Lucas, whom he considered a very influential figure in his childhood. When he asked for a part, he was told that he could either play a Palace Guard or a Naboo Officer, both of which he accepted.
The name Jerus Jannick originated in the Star Wars Legends continuity, where it was used in the Star Wars Customizable Card Game's 2001 Theed Palace Limited expansion on a card of the same name. The card uses a promotional image of Dominic West in his Naboo Officer uniform, which he wore in a scene from The Phantom Menace that was ultimately deleted. In the scene, Captain Panaka contacts Jannick, who is standing by a B1-series battle droid following the Battle of Naboo. He then tips the droid over, showing Panaka that it had been disabled.
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Complete Saga
- (First identified as Jerus Jannick)
- "Coruscant" – Star Wars Encyclopedia (Picture only)
- Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga: The Official Collector's Edition (Indirect mention only)
Notes and references
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 54 (Helmets: Naboo Royal Guard) states that Palace Guards of the Royal Naboo Security Forces wore armor with Naboo-style polished plating, a helmet with a leather neck covering and adjustable chin strap, boots with high-traction soles, and a uniform with a top coat and designed to absorb energy blasts. Since Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace depicts Jerus Jannick as a member of the force, this article assumes his armor shares these characteristics.
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the events of Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace, which include the appearance of Jerus Jannick, to 32 BBY.
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Theed Palace Limited (Card: Jerus Jannick) (backup link)
- Star Wars: The Complete Saga