Jess was a popular Human female musician. Secretly, she hoped to eventually leave Jabba's Palace by joining a band. Jess was often seen in the company of Bib Fortuna, and she witnessed Han Solo's rescue.
In 4 ABY, Jess worked as a musician in Jabba's Palace, hoping to eventually leave the establishment by joining a band. Jess was often seen in the company of Bib Fortuna stroking his lekku. He reciprocated the gesture, often leading her around the throne room by hand, and letting her sit nestled to him. Though he still reminded her what she was, dragging her to the sight of the dancing girl Oola being fed to the rancor. Later, she was left to slumber alone on Jabba's dais with two other patrons as Fortuna lay in wait with his master, ready to spring the trap as Leia Organa, disguised as Boushh, released Han Solo from carbonite. Whether she went on Jabba's sail barge with the others is unknown.
Personality and traits
Behind the scenes
- "There's a scantily clad girl with platinum blonde hair, bare midriff, and flirtatious eye on Bib Fortuna. Her name is Jess."
- ―Pablo Hidalgo
Jess first appeared as a briefly glimpsed background character in Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi played by English dancer and actress Amanda Noar. The character of Jess is more clearly visible in 1983's "Lapti Nek": The Music Video from Jabba's Palace, and additionally appears in Return of the Ewok, a mockumentary created by actor Warwick Davis during his time on the set of Return of the Jedi, that blends elements of the movie with the real world. In the short film, Davis, dressed as Wicket the Ewok, wanders onto the set of Jabba's Palace while searching for the Forest Moon of Endor. He finds Laudica and Jess rehearsing a choreographed dance to Lapti Nek, a song being performed by the Max Rebo Band.
Bib Fortuna actor Michael Carter, via an interview on TheForce.net, has alluded to several cut scenes from Return of the Jedi that involved Jess and Salacious B. Crumb. Some of these scenes appear in "Lapti Nek" The Music Video from Jabba's Palace.
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi (First appearance)
- "Lapti Nek": The Music Video from Jabba's Palace
- Return of the Jedi 1
- Star Wars Manga: Return of the Jedi 1
- Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game, Second Edition (p. 107)
- (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Chronicles (as dancing girl)
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Jabba's Palace Limited (Card: Jess) (backup link) (First identified as Jess)
- "Return of the Ewok"—Star Wars Insider 46
- "Ask Lobot"—Star Wars Insider 66
- Inside the Worlds of Star Wars Trilogy (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Complete Locations (Picture only)
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Making of Return of the Jedi (Picture only)