Shortly before the Battle of Endor, Jubnuk was present for Luke Skywalker's arrival at Jabba's Palace with the intention of negotiating with Jabba in order to free his friend Han Solo. As Jabba was not interested in Skywalker's proposal, Skywalker used the Force to snatch Nizuc Bek's blaster from his holster, prompting Jubnuk to try and wrestle it out of Luke's hand to protect Jabba. The Hutt, however, opened the trapdoor of the room in which they were and Skywalker fell into the pit of Pateesa, the Hutt's pet rancor.
As being near to Skywalker when the trapdoor was opened, Jubnuk fell into Pateesa's pit despite his attempts to hold onto Jabba's moving throne. The Jedi Knight and the Gamorrean then slipped down the slide which led to the pit. After getting up, both saw the door open revealing Pateesa, who had previously eaten Jabba's dancer Oola. Jubnuk, squealing in terror, attempted to climb back up the trapdoor's steep slide to no avail. As his fellow Gamorrean guards laughed at his misfortune, the rancor grabbed Jubnuk and ate him. Skywalker, on the other hand, was able to kill the beast and avoid a similar fate, greatly angering Jabba.
Behind the scenes
Jubnuk was portrayed by puppeteer Simon Williamson in the 1983 film Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi, the final installment of the Star Wars original trilogy. Williamson also portrayed Max Rebo, but his role was uncredited.[source?]
Prior to the 2014 canon reboot of The Walt Disney Company in anticipation of the sequel trilogy, some details of Jubnuk's early life were explored in the Star Wars Legends 1996 Jabba's Palace Pop-up Book. The book particularly showed Jubnuk surviving his encounter with the rancor, escaping from him after the beast's stomach was cut. Holocron continuity database keeper Leland Chee stated that he didn't know about this until he was notified by a Wookieepedia user. In the new canon, however, Chee confirmed in his Twitter account that Jubnuk did not survive.
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi (First appearance)
- Star Wars Galaxy of Adventures – "Luke vs. the Rancor - Wrath of the Rancor"
- Star Wars: Return of the Jedi junior novelization
- Return of the Jedi: Beware the Power of the Dark Side!
- Return of the Jedi: Beware the Power of the Dark Side! audiobook
- The Legends of Luke Skywalker
- The Legends of Luke Skywalker audiobook
- Star Wars: Complete Locations (First identified as Jubnuk)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 36 (Weapons & Uniforms: Jabba's Courtiers) (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: Alien Archive
- Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga: The Official Collector's Edition