- "Kaysee-Seventyate is right, Maru. You and I have duties to perform elsewhere, separately."
- ―Rodor Keen
KC-78 was an astromech droid that served Jedi Master Estala Maru during the High Republic Era. The droid assisted Maru in his duties as the Jedi in charge of operations aboard the Starlight Beacon space station in the time following the Great Disaster.
Biography[edit | edit source]
- "Yes, yes, thank you my friend."
- ―Estala Maru, after being nudged by KC-78
During the time of the High Republic Era, KC-78 served Jedi Master Estala Maru, the Jedi head of operations aboard the Starlight Beacon, a space station co-managed by both the Jedi Order and the Galactic Republic. Maru himself worked with Controller Rodor Keen, the Jedi Master's Republic counterpart. In the time following the Great Disaster and nine hours prior to the dedication of the Starlight Beacon, KC-78 was present near Maru in the station's operations center. The droid stood behind Jedi Master Avar Kriss, who spoke with Maru and was appointed shortly afterward as the new marshal of Starlight by Grand Masters Pra-Tre Veter and Yoda.
KC-78 was later present beside Maru and Keen in the station's medcenter, where victims of the Great Disaster and its subsequent Emergences were being treated. Shortly after Maru and Keen were greeted by Administrator Velko Jahen, the latter's new aide, KC-78 beeped with alarm, reminding the two that they had other duties. Though Keen turned to depart, Maru insisted that he could monitor operations from where he was in the medcenter. KC-78 nudged the Jedi, who begrudgingly followed Keen out.
Following the dedication, KC-78 accompanied Maru, the Jedi Knight Vernestra Rwoh and the Padawan Imri Cantaros as they performed an autopsy, under Kriss' request, on a dead Hutt trader whose body was found on a starship that had been attacked by Nihil marauders in the Kazlin system.
Characteristics[edit | edit source]
A squat astromech droid, KC-78 had white plating on its body and legs with an orange coloration on a square pattern around the circumference of its flat-topped head, as well as around its base. When attempting to get Maru to leave Starlight's medcenter and attend to his duties, the droid gave him an unsubtle nudge.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- "The astromech that you can see, the little droid, is a droid that works with Maru quite a lot. When the first toys came out in the '70s, the cantina toy from Kenner had a cardboard background and there was a droid drawn on it. It wasn't a figure, it was just drawn, it was just rusty on the side of the cantina, and that's him."
- ―Cavan Scott
Created for the Star Wars: The High Republic publishing initative, KC-78 was first revealed in an uncolored preview from the first issue of the comic series of the same name, written by Cavan Scott and penciled by Ario Anindito, in The High Republic Free Digital Sampler on December 12, 2020. The droid first appeared when The High Republic 1 was published by Marvel Comics on January 6, 2021. KC-78's name was identified in the short story "Starlight: First Duty," also written by Scott and published in Star Wars Insider 201 on March 17, 2021.
The design of KC-78 was based on an astromech droid that was pictured on the cardboard background of the Cantina Adventure Set produced by Kenner in 1978. Having had a fondness for the droid, Scott wished to include it somewhere in the comic, though with a new appearance as opposed to the rusty droid pictured in the set.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- The High Republic 1 (First appearance)
- "Starlight: First Duty"—Star Wars Insider 201–202 (First identified as KC-78)
- The High Republic 3
Sources[edit | edit source]
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- "Starlight: First Duty"—Star Wars Insider 201–202
- The High Republic 1
- The High Republic Behind-The-Scenes Exclusive 1
- The High Republic 3
- The High Republic 2
- The High Republic Free Digital Sampler
- Scott, Cavan (2021-03-17). Starlight: First Duty Part One. cavanscott.com. Archived from the original on April 3, 2021. Retrieved on April 3, 2021.
- Polo, Susana. Star Wars: The High Republic era creator breaks down 2 exclusive pages of Marvel's comic. Polygon. Vox Media. Archived from the original on December 16, 2020. Retrieved on December 16, 2020.
[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The High Republic era creator breaks down 2 exclusive pages of Marvel's comic (backup link)