- "I'm glad you didn't die without knowing it was Karbin who engineered your doom. And who shall rise ascendant from your ashes."
- ―Karbin, to Darth Vader
Karbin was a male Mon Calamari who served as a commander during the Clone Wars. Towards the end of the conflict, his starship was damaged, causing Karbin considerable and untreatable injuries. After the incident, he spent the next eighteen years on life support, the final two of which he spent being enhanced with a cybernetic body inspired by that of the late General Grievous by Doctor Cylo and trained to replace Darth Vader, Emperor Palpatine's Sith apprentice.
- "This is Commander Karbin. You may remember him from the Separatist War. His ship was lost towards the end. Considerable injuries. Untreatable. He spent the last eighteen years on life support. He spent the last two being enhanced."
- ―Doctor Cylo
Commander Karbin fought in the Clone Wars until his ship was lost towards the end of the conflict, which resulted in him receiving considerable injuries that were considered to be untreatable. He spent the next eighteen years on life support in a medical center, and during the final two of which he was given a cybernetic body inspired by that of the late General Grievous by Doctor Cylo.
His cybernetic body had two arms which could split to reveal another pair, giving him four arms. He could wield up to 4 lightsabers at once, just as his predecessor General Grievous did.
Shortly after the Battle of Yavin, Darth Vader discovered Cylo's research base and discovered Karbin and Cylo's other potential replacements for Vader. Vader was prevented from killing Cylo when the Emperor intervened. Cylo then had Karbin and the others battle Vader to demonstrate their abilities to the Emperor.
Tracking Luke Skywalker
Grand General Cassio Tagge assigned Karbin to track down the Rebel pilot who destroyed the Death Star. While Vader was assigned another mission, he was personally pursuing the pilot for his own reason: the pilot was in fact his son Luke Skywalker. Vader learned that Luke was on the planet Vrogas Vas. However, Karbin planned an ambush to eliminate Vader.
Battle of Vrogas Vas
Darth Vader crashed on Vrogas Vas and fought Rebel forces there. In the middle of the battle, the Rebel leader Leia Organa sent a squadron of bombers to eliminate Vader, however they were shot down by Karbin's forces as he landed on the planet. While Karbin's forces attacked the Rebels, Karbin personally dueled Vader, believing that with four lightsabers against Vader's one, he would be victorious. Using the Force, Vader got the upper hand on Karbin and severed one of his arms. Eventually, Vader lured Karbin onto a natural bridge made of rock and had his minion Doctor Aphra crash her ship, the Ark Angel, into him. Karbin barely survived the impact, and was executed shortly after by Vader. In his last moments of life, he realized that Vader had a personal reason for pursuing Luke, but never knew what it was.
- Doctor Aphra: An Audiobook Original
- Darth Vader (2015) 4 (First mentioned) (Indirect mention only)
- Darth Vader (2015) 5 (First appearance)
- Darth Vader (2015) 6 (First identified as Karbin)
- Darth Vader (2015) 7 (Indirectly mentioned only; in the opening crawl)
- Darth Vader (2015) 8
- Darth Vader (2015) 10 (Indirect mention only)
- Darth Vader (2015) 12
- Vader Down 1 (Mentioned only)
- Darth Vader (2015) 14
- Star Wars (2015) 14
- Darth Vader (2015) 15
- Darth Vader (2015) 16 (Appears as a corpse)
- Darth Vader (2015) 20 (Appears in hologram)
- Darth Vader (2015) 21 (Mentioned only)
- Darth Vader (2015) 22 (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 31 (Databank A-Z: Kaminoans–King Katuunko)
- Star Wars: Build Your Own X-Wing 12 (Starfighter Aces: Doctor Chelli Lona Aphra – Galactic Hunter for Hire) (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: Battles that Changed the Galaxy