- "E'er since they landed, I'm selling ships an' blasters right an' left! Never been so busy!"
- ―Kasif, on the First Order
Kasif was a Trandoshan male hunter and merchant who operated in the town of Black Spire Outpost on the planet Batuu. He ran the company known as Outer Rim Expedition and Supply, selling goods that included starships and weaponry.
During the war between the First Order and the Resistance, Kasif's supply cart was visited by the Resistance spy Vi Moradi, who the Trandoshan attempted to scam until threatened by Black Spire Station proprietor Salju. Kasif also sold out the pirate Hondo Ohnaka to the mercenary Bazine Netal, who visited Batuu in search of Ohnaka. After the First Order occupied Batuu, Kasif saw an increase in sales, and enjoyed the extra profit regardless of the reason behind it.
Life on BatuuEdit
By 34 ABY, Kasif worked as a merchant within Black Spire Outpost, a settlement located on the Outer Rim planet Batuu. He was in charge of the business Outer Rim Expedition and Supply, and occasionally ran a supply cart within the town, selling goods to inhabitants and visitors. Kasif also worked as a hunter, and at some point acquired a taxidermic wampa from the planet Hoth. He gifted the wampa to the Ithorian collector Dok-Ondar, a friend of his, who kept it in his store, Dok-Ondar's Den of Antiquities.
During the war between the First Order, the successor state to the Galactic Empire, and the Resistance, a military group led by the former New Republic senator Leia Organa, the Resistance spy Vi Moradi was tasked by Organa with finding a new base of operations. Moradi eventually chose Batuu, but her starship crashed upon arrival, and her belongings and supplies were stolen by thugs working for the crime boss Oga Garra. Batuu resident Salju helped Moradi acquire new supplies, during which they visited Kasif's supply cart to buy sleeping bags. Kasif attempted to deceive Moradi into paying a high price for what he claimed were the latest innovation in sleeping bags, but Salju interrupted the merchant, threatening to raise fuel prices at her own place of work, Black Spire Station. Flustered by the threat, Kasif brought out the sleeping bags, which were in reality used and lightly ragged, claiming nobody had died in them. Moradi bought two sleeping bags, for both herself and her companion Archex.
When the mercenary Bazine Netal visited Black Spire Outpost in search of the pirate Hondo Ohnaka, owner of Ohnaka Transport Solutions, she encountered Kasif in the middle of running his company. Without question, Kasif informed Netal of Ohnaka's location in exchange for credits.
First Order occupationEdit
- "Oi, Kasif—you having trouble at imports 'cause of the First Order? I can't get any jewels through."
- ―Kamka Lira and Kasif
As the war between the First Order and the Resistance continued, First Order presence on Batuu increased. With the raised First Order occupation, Kasif saw a surge in sales, and was pleased by the increase in profit that he gained. At some point during the occupation, he spoke with fellow merchant Kamka Lira, who lamented at the trouble he had importing goods due to the First Order. Kasif did not share Lira's complaints about the First Order's presence, leading Lira to accuse him of profiting from war.
Personality and traitsEdit
- "Typical. War always makes a profit."
- ―Kamka Lira, to Kasif
A Trandoshan male, Kasif was both scruffy and arrogant, attempting to lie to Vi Moradi about the merchandise that he sold. When confronted, however, Kasif became flustered, revealing that his merchandise was less advanced than he had claimed.
Kasif was willing to sell out Hondo Ohnaka, a fellow businessman of Black Spire Outpost, in exchange for credits, without asking why Netal was searching for the pirate. He also enjoyed the increased business and profit that the war between the First Order and the Resistance brought him, not caring for the war itself or the First Order's occupation of Batuu.
Behind the scenesEdit
Kasif was created for the backstory of the Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge theme park land, which opened to guests at Disneyland Park and Disney's Hollywood Studios Park in 2019. He was mentioned in the backstory of the Dok-Ondar's Den of Antiquities store and simultaneously appeared in Star Wars: Datapad, the mobile application companion to Galaxy's Edge. Kasif's conversation with Kamka Lira can be seen as one of the transmissions that Datapad users can listen in on.
- Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire (Mentioned only)
- Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire audiobook (Mentioned only)
- Pirate's Price (Indirect mention only)
- Pirate's Price audiobook (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge—Dok-Ondar's Den of Antiquities (First mentioned, simultaneous with Star Wars: Datapad)
- Star Wars: Datapad – "Life in the Outpost" (Screenshots: 1) (First appearance, simultaneous with Dok-Ondar's Den of Antiquities)
- Star Wars: Datapad – "Need Jetpack. Have Credits." (Screenshots: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5) (First mentioned, simultaneous with Dok-Ondar's Den of Antiquities)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Star Wars: Datapad – "Need Jetpack. Have Credits." (Screenshots: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
- ↑ Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire is set after the Hosnian Cataclysm, which is dated to 34 ABY by Star Wars: Galactic Atlas.
- ↑ Star Wars Galaxy's Edge: Traveler's Guide to Batuu
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Pirate's Price
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 Star Wars: Datapad – "Life in the Outpost" (Screenshots: 1)
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Dok-Ondar's Den of Antiquities has official backstory elements that, while not directly published for the public, are officially canon details that can be obtained verbally from cast members working in the store.