- "When placin' an order, I always make sure to add in a sack of unpopped corn kernels. That way, if I get a cravin' for Kat's signature snack when I'm docked at another outpost on the other side of the Rim, I can cook some up myself."
- ―Strono Tuggs, The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook
Kat's Kettle Corn was a snack food created by the human Kat Saka and sold at Kat Saka's Kettle, her shop in Black Spire Outpost on the planet Batuu. It was made with popped corn kernels or grains. The final product was yellow, fluffy, and served in a bowl. The corn could be tossed with Nerfsteak Seasoning or Saka Salt, and was edible by Artiodacs.
In 34 ABY, the Artiodac chef Strono Tuggs authored The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook, which included a recipe for the snack. Tuggs wrote in the book that whenever he spent credits at Kat Saka's Kettle, he always bought an unpopped bag of kernels so that he could cook the dish himself in case he was ever stationed at a different outpost. Tuggs called the corn a signature item of Saka's, and recommended tossing Kettle Corn with an additional item. However, he also noted that the grains were "good enough to eat plain."
Behind the scenes
Kat's Kettle Corn was introduced in the 2019 recipe book Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook, written by Marc Sumerak and Chelsea Monroe-Cassel. Its out-of-universe recipe calls for the ingredients vegetable oil, yellow food coloring, sugar, popcorn kernels, and Saka Salt, an in-universe item that is given its own recipe in the book. Although the cookbook mentions that the snack is available at Kat Saka's Kettle, the Kettle at the attraction Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge does not sell the item.
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook (First mentioned)
Notes and references
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook establishes that the in-universe book was published at the same time as when the First Order was searching for the Resistance base on Batuu. As that search occurs in Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire, which is set in 34 ABY according to the reasoning here, the cookbook must have been published in 34 ABY.
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge – Kat Saka's Kettle