- "The Emperor's wayfinder is in the Imperial vault. At delta 3-6, transient 9-3-6, bearing 3-2…on a moon in the Endor system."
Kef Bir, designated IX3244-C and known as the Ocean Moon of Endor, was an ocean moon orbiting the gas giant Endor in the Endor system. Jannah, a human female freedom fighter who, by the time of the First Order-Resistance War, led a tribe of brave and noble warriors, lived on the moon after the tribe mutinied at the Battle of Ansett Island. Some of the wreckage of the second Death Star was located on Kef Bir.
An ocean moon, Kef Bir orbited the planet Endor, in the Endor system of Outer Rim Territories' Moddell sector, positioned at the coordinates H-16 on the Standard Galactic Grid. The moon used to be almost entirely underwater, until several cataclysmic events had vented the water into the atmosphere and caused tectonic upheaval, that revealed more and more landmasses. Since then it was primarily covered by oceans, such as the Kef Sur ocean, and grassland islands, such as the Angkuadi islands. The moon had at least one continent, called Shoduah. At high tide, the waves could reach a height of over 120 meters.
The second Death Star was originally planned to orbit Kef Bir. However, because the moon had few ores, the Death Star was relocated to the forest moon and no garrison was stationed on Kef Bir.
In 4 ABY, a successful attack by the Rebel Alliance on the Death Star II resulted in its destruction. The remaining wreckage, including what was left of the superlaser dish and the Emperor's Throne Room, fell into Kef Bir's orbit and crashed into the seas. The explosion of the reactor lead to abnormal physics and several massive pieces of debris were launched into hyperspace. No scientist or sentient beings witnessed the event or could explain what variables prevented a catastrophe. Debris from the moon-sized base not only had rained down for years, but had collided with several nearby asteroids, creating a chain reaction of bolide hits to the moon’s surface and atmosphere.
Decades before 35 ABY,[source?] Kef Bir had experienced several cataclysmic events, which had vented the water into the atmosphere and caused tectonic upheaval, revealing more and more landmasses. Some theorized that the destruction of the second Death Star was to blame. In the decade before 35 ABY,[source?] the moon calmed down, and life was finding a hold.
In 35 ABY, Rey, Finn, Poe Dameron, and Chewbacca arrived on Kef Bir following directions found on Ochi's blade and translated by C-3PO, to secure a Wayfinder to Exegol belonging to Darth Sidious aboard the wreckage of Death Star II. There, they met Jannah, a former First Order Stormtrooper who resided on the ocean moon, along with her tribe. Rey found the Wayfinder in the Emperor's Throne Room, but was confronted by Kylo Ren, who destroyed it. The two dueled, with Rey stabbing Ren as he was distracted, sensing the death of his mother, Leia Organa. Rey healed him and took his TIE/wi modified interceptor, leaving him stranded aboard the Death Star II's wreckage.
Behind the scenes
Kef Bir first appeared in the 2019 sequel trilogy film, Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker. Footage was recorded in Buckinghamshire, England, and then digitally transformed into the stormy coast seen in the movie.
On October 23, 2019, the Disney Parks Blog announced that the Star Tours: The Adventures Continue rides at Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disneyland Paris and Tokyo Disneyland would be updated to include a scene set on Kef Bir, similar to previous updates that added planets featured in The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi.
- Star Wars: Starfighter Missions
- Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Expanded Edition
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Expanded Edition audiobook
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: A Junior Novel
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: A Junior Novel audiobook
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Graphic Novel Adaptation
- Resistance Heroes (Indirect mention only)
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition (First mentioned)
- (First pictured)
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Galactic Guide
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary (First identified as IX3244-C, Ocean Moon of Endor)
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker – The Official Collector's Edition
- The Art of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
- Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker (Set: 75278 D-O) (Picture only)
- The Star Wars Book
- Star Wars: The Lightsaber Collection (Indirect mention only)
- "The Final Order and the Battle of Exegol" – Star Wars Encyclopedia
- "TIE Fighters" – Star Wars Encyclopedia
- "BB-8 and Other Astromech Droids" – Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga: The Official Collector's Edition (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Battles that Changed the Galaxy
- (Picture only)
Notes and references
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens Beginner Game
- Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition
- Star Wars: Rogue One: Rebel Dossier
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Expanded Edition
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary dates the events of Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker to one year after the events of Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens. As Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the events of The Force Awakens to 34 ABY, the events of The Rise of Skywalker must occur in 35 ABY.