Kenny Baker (August 24, 1934 – August 13, 2016) was a British actor best known as the man inside of R2-D2 in the Star Wars film series. Baker had also worked with George Lucas outside of the Star Wars films, with an uncredited role as a Nelwyn band member in Willow, as well as a role as the Goblin Corps in Labyrinth.
Baker's other films include 1980's The Elephant Man, 1981's Time Bandits, and the 1986 Jim Henson film Labyrinth. In the late 1990s, Baker launched a stand-up comedy career. Kenny is a first-class mouth-organ player and rates his guest appearance with the James Coutts Scottish Dance Band at Hugh McCaig's Silverstone Party in July 1997 as probably his "finest musical experience."
Biography[edit | edit source]
Kenny Baker, at 3 feet, 8 inches (112 cm) tall, was a circus and cabaret performer with entertainer Jack Purvis when George Lucas hired him to be the man inside R2-D2 in Star Wars in 1977. Baker appears in the first six theatrical Star Wars films, although stock footage was used for much of R2-D2's role in Revenge of the Sith. Baker played an additional role in 1983's Return of the Jedi as Paploo, the Ewok who stole an Imperial speeder bike. He was originally going to play Wicket W. Warrick, but he fell ill, and that role was handed over to eleven-year-old Warwick Davis.[source?]
Bibliography[edit | edit source]
- The Star Wars Album
- The Jedi Master's Quizbook
- "Warwick Davis: An Unlikely Hero, Part Two"—The Lucasfilm Fan Club Magazine 5
- "The Real R2-D2... Kenny Baker"—Star Wars Insider 23
- "When Artoo Met Wicket"—Star Wars Insider 39
- "Launch Pad"—Star Wars Insider 150
- Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga: The Official Collector's Edition
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Kenny Baker, the R2-D2 Robot in 'Star Wars,' Dies at 81 (2016-08-13). Archived from the original on August 28, 2017. Retrieved on October 21, 2017.
- Kenny Baker. Metro.co.uk. Archived from the original on August 4, 2017. Retrieved on April 8, 2010.
- Ward, Jason (2015-09-16). Little Actor Jimmy Vee Is Artoo-Detoo In Star Wars: Episode VIII?. Making Star Wars. Archived from the original on August 6, 2020.
- WENN (2008-04-10). R2-D2 Actor Struck Down With Mystery Illness. Archived from the original on March 20, 2017. Retrieved on August 13, 2016.